NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Multiple Sclerosis (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/)
-   -   MRI optic neuritis?? (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/187570-mri-optic-neuritis.html)

Snailz 04-26-2013 01:29 PM

MRI optic neuritis??

Hi all I have been having on going eye problems for 5 weeks, constant pain in my left eye which has now started in mildly in my right eye, it is sort of behind the eye ball at the top, my left eye is also blurred, my doctor is treating me for trigeminal nurelga my neurogist disagrees (he is really unhelpful though and just shrugged his shoulders on my first visit) and after much begging he sent me for a MRI scan, I have a follow up with my results next Friday, my question is, will an MRI always show optic neuritis? I'm in agony yet my unhelpful neurologist says that if my mri is normal then my constant eye pain (5 weeks without a break) must be a migraine. Another doctor has given me liquid morphine to help with the pain while I wait but it's not touching it :( I have booked an eye exam in the morning with an optician and another on Tuesday with an ophthalmologist, I had one 5 weeks when my pain first started but then it was very mild, almost unnoticeable, I'm thinking that back then it may not have been inflamed? Thank you

Erin524 04-26-2013 09:04 PM

If I remember right, it doesn't always show up on an MRI. I had optic neuritis in 2006 and it didn't show up on the MRI. I had tiny "nonspecific white dots" in some other spot that wasn't anywhere near the optic nerve. I've had optic neuritis a couple of times since then, but I pretty much refuse to get back into another MRI machine because I have claustrophobia. (didn't know I was that claustrophobic until that first MRI in 2006)

They might be able to tell from looking at your optic nerve thru an ophthalmoscope. But, again, it might not show up. The color of your optic nerve can change when it's inflamed. (think it gets a pale pink color?)

I'm pretty sure that you can have a flaming case of optic neuritis and have it not show up in an MRI or looking thru the ophthalmoscope. There's other signs to look for.

nemsmom 04-26-2013 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erin524 (Post 978645)
I'm pretty sure that you can have a flaming case of optic neuritis and have it not show up in an MRI or looking thru the ophthalmoscope. There's other signs to look for.

I've got optic neuritis issues, have for years now. But for a very long time nothing showed on my nerves. It shows something now, but never as much as the doctors would expect for my symptoms.

Snailz It sounds like you need to find a different neurologist though. Doesn't sound like yours is treating you the way he should.

doydie 04-26-2013 11:33 PM

My optic neuritis was diagnosed through an opthalmoscope

GladysD 04-27-2013 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doydie (Post 978666)
My optic neuritis was diagnosed through an opthalmoscope

Mine was, too. Then I was sent to a neurologist. Then the MRI was given, and lesions were there. The lesions show MS.

I agree, with above, if you aren't feeling heard, etc..as in your neurologist shrugged their shoulders, then seeking out someone else, you can trust, isn't a bad idea.

My optic neuritis flare ups take about 10-12 weeks to clear up, when I have had them. Hope you feel better soon. :hug:

Erin524 04-27-2013 10:27 PM

They usually diagnose my optic neuritis problems from the symptoms. Usually I'll have a problem with my color vision. Last spring tho, when I had ON, my vision in my right eye was completely obscured. That was the worst it's ever been. Hurt like crazy too.

GladysD 04-28-2013 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erin524 (Post 978852)
They usually diagnose my optic neuritis problems from the symptoms. Usually I'll have a problem with my color vision. Last spring tho, when I had ON, my vision in my right eye was completely obscured. That was the worst it's ever been. Hurt like crazy too.

I describe mine as an ice pick through the eye...very, excruciating, and not much helps with the pain. The first, was the worst, pain wise, for me...

jimfish98@aol.com 05-02-2013 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GladysD (Post 979059)
I describe mine as an ice pick through the eye...very, excruciating, and not much helps with the pain. The first, was the worst, pain wise, for me...

This comment is so in line with me. They say I do not have ON, but the pain is there. I often describe it was feeling like someone is scraping out my eye socket with a spoon. Sometimes its dull, other times it gets pretty bad. By the time I get to an 8/10 I am shaking, ready to vomit, and set to go to the ER for pain meds. Before I was diagnosed I hit the 10/10 mark and blacked out losing three hours.

SallyC 05-02-2013 09:27 AM

Hi Snailz and Jim, happy to have you join us. Do either or both of you
have MS? ON is a mean side of MS, but other things cause ON as well.

I am one of the lucky ones. I've had ON only once in my 40 some yrs
with MS. It was awful. Some peeps have recurring bouts of ON and
very painful.

Has your Doc/Neuro tried treating your ON with solumedrol/prednizone ?
It works well for some people. I hope you are both feeling better soon.

GladysD 05-02-2013 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimfish98@aol.com (Post 979970)
This comment is so in line with me. They say I do not have ON, but the pain is there. I often describe it was feeling like someone is scraping out my eye socket with a spoon. Sometimes its dull, other times it gets pretty bad. By the time I get to an 8/10 I am shaking, ready to vomit, and set to go to the ER for pain meds. Before I was diagnosed I hit the 10/10 mark and blacked out losing three hours.

What else, do they suggest it could be?