NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Parkinson's Disease (https://www.neurotalk.org/parkinson-s-disease/)
-   -   What are your side effects from DBS? I've noticed... (https://www.neurotalk.org/parkinson-s-disease/31269-effects-dbs-ive-noticed.html)

Jim091866 10-31-2007 10:18 PM

What are your side effects from DBS? I've noticed...

I am wondering what sort of side efects others have noticed from their DBS. One that I am becoming more aware of pertains to my driving. Yes, I know, I had DBS 3 weeks ago and I'm DRIVING! Well, I have noticed that my judgement is bad. Twice yesterday I pulled out in front of other vehicles and both my wife and I looked at each other and what the !@#$#@!! was I thinking. I plainly saw both vehicles yet for some reason and I cannot explain it I just went. I am a big believer in planning your route to avoid trafffic problems and using a light to exit parking lots, do not try to get out into traffic at a corner-use the light,etc. For example our favorite drug store is on a very busy corner. I make sure that I travel to the store using the light in front of it to allow me to turn directly into the parking lot. Then I go to the back of the parking lot where a simple right turn puts me onto the road home. However, today I went to the store and when leaving pulled out onto the frontage road, crossed the first two lanes and after braking just a second pulled out and went left almost in front of yet another vehicle- I woulda been creamed! I have NEVER used this route for obvious reasons! This may seem like just not thinking to you all but this is a severe lack of proper judgement for me. This is another one, you all will laugh at this one, I was at a store with my wife and we had some degree of cash on us for the item we were going to puchase. She said to me " Jim watchout for people coming up to you...." My response was "They'll have to be bigger than you are." :eek: Both of our jaws dropped as soon as the words left my mouth! You cannot imagine! I have felt somewhat "simple minded" at times. Yes, I am confident that these are all present since my DBS. My wife, yes she is still here agrees. Well, all I can say is stay tuned. Thanks for listening.

Heidi L 10-31-2007 10:26 PM

Hi Jim! How nice to hear you're driving again! It's a wonderful thing...

I don't have DBS, but you just happen to mention a topic that's been in the news this week- here's Carolyn's link from a few days ago:

http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=30819

Good Luck, and count to ten!
Heidi

Jim091866 10-31-2007 10:29 PM

I stand corrected..

My wife reminded me why she said that remark to me... I was walking away from our truck with over $ 1,000.00 in cash in my hand! She wanted me to put it into my pocket or otherwise put it away. What she was doing letting me carry the money I don't know but I can assure you it won't happen again! LOL. So now does that sound like GOOD judgement to you? I know, I know not for either of us, right..

Jim091866 10-31-2007 10:30 PM

I stand corrected..

My wife reminded me why she said that remark to me... I was walking away from our truck with over $1,000.00 in cash in my hand! She wanted me to put it into my pocket or otherwise put it away. What she was doing letting me carry the money I don't know but I can assure you it won't happen again! LOL. So now does that sound like GOOD judgement to you? I know, I know not for either of us, right..

MKane 10-31-2007 11:55 PM

Jim,

I had DBS in April and was programmed on 5/4 one month after the surgery. Memorial Day weekend I had a serious meltdown. I could not stand, was very dyskenetic, could not even speak. Went back and was reprogrammed and I've been fine since. The MDs tell me that it takes a year for the brain to settle after DBS and that I will need to return periodically for programming. I've been back twice since then and will go back again in the near future.

Good luck,
MKane