NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Parkinson's Disease (https://www.neurotalk.org/parkinson-s-disease/)
-   -   I am Having DBS March 20th (https://www.neurotalk.org/parkinson-s-disease/163858-am-dbs-march-20th.html)

GregD 01-24-2012 10:26 AM

I am Having DBS March 20th

Over the last couple of years my condition has progressed and I have gotten worse. The tremor is at the point I cannot stand it anymore. My mobility has also suffered.

I have given seriously thought and consideration and have decided to undergo DBS surgery. It is scheduled for March 20th at Ohio State University Hospital. So I guess I am going to become a member of the hole in the head club.

VICTORIALOU 01-24-2012 10:57 AM

best wishes

Hi Greg
I can imagine all the thinking and decision-making involved in that determination and I can also hear the strength of your statement " I cannot stand it anymore".
I wish you great success. If you are up to communicating on the forum, your journey through this will be followed with great interest by me and I am sure by many others.

:Good-Luck:

Quote:

Originally Posted by GregD (Post 844560)
Over the last couple of years my condition has progressed and I have gotten worse. The tremor is at the point I cannot stand it anymore. My mobility has also suffered.

I have given seriously thought and consideration and have decided to undergo DBS surgery. It is scheduled for March 20th at Ohio State University Hospital. So I guess I am going to become a member of the hole in the head club.

paula_w 01-24-2012 11:25 AM

You made the decision and I wish you only the best,

jeanb 01-24-2012 08:33 PM

Good luck to you!

Best wishes and hopes that it successful & brings you relief. :hug:

Jean

imark3000 01-25-2012 07:26 PM

Best luck

You have my best wishes. Thank you for your posting informing us about your decision and God-willing you will have a successful operation and you will inform us all about it.
Imad

Jim091866 01-25-2012 10:33 PM

Best wishes

Greg, best wishes on your surgery and a quick recovery. You will be happy to know that persons with tremor are some of the most successful DBS candidates vs those without a resting tremor-it is easier to target the leads. I had DBS in 2007, don't have a tremor and got less than optimal results-poor targeting. I am being evaluated for repeat at UF in Gainesville. (They did not do the first surgery.)

By the way, did you say you were going to Ohio State University Hospital?

Floridagal 01-26-2012 09:01 AM

all the best!

Wishing you the very best outcome from your surgery. My unilateral dbs in Nov 2010 has almost obliterated my very bothersome left arm tremor and led to improved sleeping.I continue to work with a very good programmer & MD to help with other symptoms. I am also planning to be evaluated for bilateral dbs in the not too distant future. It's a hard decision to reach, and for me, required summoning courage that i didn't know i had. take care!

GregD 01-26-2012 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by labrador (Post 845183)
Greg, best wishes on your surgery and a quick recovery. You will be happy to know that persons with tremor are some of the most successful DBS candidates vs those without a resting tremor-it is easier to target the leads. I had DBS in 2007, don't have a tremor and got less than optimal results-poor targeting. I am being evaluated for repeat at UF in Gainesville. (They did not do the first surgery.)

By the way, did you say you were going to Ohio State University Hospital?

Yes, It will be done at Ohio State University Medical Center.

olsen 01-26-2012 02:13 PM

Best wishes

Greg, Best wishes for a successful outcome and a fast recovery.

stevem53 01-26-2012 11:41 PM

All the best to you Greg!..I hope it gives you some freedom from the bondage of pd