NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Multiple Sclerosis (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/)
-   -   Your own health care... (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/170452-own-health-care.html)

Blessings2You 05-26-2012 07:18 PM

Your own health care...

Since your MS diagnosis, are you more attentive to your health care OTHER than MS...or less attentive...or about the same?

I'm not really sure how to explain what I'm asking...do you think being diagnosed with MS made you more vigilant about your overall health--diet, exercise, dental care, routine screenings, etc.? Or have you focused so much on MS that you've ignored other aspects of your health care? Or is everything about the same?

KittyLady 05-26-2012 08:10 PM

I seriously hate doctors. I avoid them like the plague!! I only go if I absolutely have to, like when I had my last flare, my dh brought me to the ER faster than you can say those 2 little letters. Im not anymore concerned with my overall health. I was dx at age 22, so back then, I had 2 little baby girls to care for and a husband who told me "you just want to be sick". He is an ex now!! My MS was so mild, I really didnt think about it. I think now, finally, Im taking my health more seriously now. MS is really affecting me now in ways it never did before. It has disabled me now, but Im tired of seeing the neuro every 3 months. I figure if I get worse or new symptoms, I'll go back.

Mariel 05-27-2012 03:04 AM

I don't see doctors much about MS or Porphyria, for many years, since I have to mostly manage these on my own, with diet for MS and avoidance of triggers for Porphyria. But I see doctors way more than I want to for my Polycythemia Vera. I have a weekly CBC to track platelets and red cells, phlebotomies when they go too high. My health in other respects is pretty good so I don't see doctors a lot for other things. I do go to the derm for skin cancer, spend oodles on the dentist (no insurance for that) and rarely have infections which require attention. It's all the Polycythemia Vera which requires medical care.

kicker 05-27-2012 10:33 AM

I wouldn't use the word hate... but I certainly don't like going to the doctor's. I've heard mostly what they can say on the subject. Some just plain out were so wrong about my MS, some are trying so hard but were wrong and just don't know, others I respect to a point. I had a neuro, at least he was willing to goggle stuff I brought up he didn't know about

Kitty 05-27-2012 10:41 AM

I'm probably about the same.

Unless something is really bothering me I usually just wait it out. It's a major production for me to make doctor appts. sine I have to have a ride. I hate to inconvenience anyone.

Sparky10 05-27-2012 10:43 AM

So far I've been very healthy since my diagnosis 12 years ago. I'd have to say my vigilance level is about the same.

SallyC 05-27-2012 11:31 AM

I'm with Sparky, except for the evils that MS do, I'm pretty healthy. I'm a Doc's appointment phobic too.

A little more concerned, maybe.

ANNagain 05-27-2012 04:49 PM

B2Y, I have had MS since my early 20's (probably before). Still it took many years to get the correct diagnosis.

I think when I had to leave my job and go on SSD is when I decided this was very serious and that I needed to shape up in every way I could - meditation, diet change (veggie), PT, massage and exercise as in walking- not machines.

And yes, I am more vigilant since then about the colonoscopies, and flu shots, etc. Not crazy vigilant but aware.

ANN

Kitty 05-27-2012 05:27 PM

Sometimes I feel like doctors are so worried about protecting themselves against malpractice suits and other litigation that they order every test whether the patient needs it or not. If someone has good insurance even better......for the doctor, at least.

I'm not saying that some tests aren't necessary and some can even spot something before it gets out of hand but some procedures are, IMHO, unnecessary and overly invasive.

Snoopy 05-28-2012 06:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blessings2You (Post 883442)
Since your MS diagnosis, are you more attentive to your health care OTHER than MS...or less attentive...or about the same?

The same.

MS has made no difference in how I approach my healthcare. I have had MS since I was a kid, diagnosed when I was 24. I have also had other health issues since I was a kid seeing doctors has been a normal part of my life.

I have always made sure I get my annual exams. In my early years (16) I saw and learned what health problems can happen if a person does not go in for annual check-ups and bloodwork.

I don't like seeing doctors but I do because my health is important.