NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Myasthenia Gravis (https://www.neurotalk.org/myasthenia-gravis/)
-   -   Dental Surgery Tomorrow - Very Nervous!! (https://www.neurotalk.org/myasthenia-gravis/189871-dental-surgery-tomorrow-nervous.html)

deannc 06-11-2013 08:50 PM

Dental Surgery Tomorrow - Very Nervous!!

I am having 3 wisdom teeth pulled tomorrow. May not sound like a big deal but I am middle age (that's being nice!!) and have MG. I finally got approved to have the procedure done in the hospital at 4:30pm today. I live in a small town in and don't have the best support as far as Neurologists go. She doesn't think anything is a problem and she thinks that my MG is very mild "if I even have it".
I have had elevated Acetylcholine AB levels for the last 3 years and I have trouble with double vision. At times I also have trouble breathing. I myself have been in denial about this whole MG thing but now that I have to have anesthesia I am a little more concerned. I also just found this forum. My questions are 1) is it safe to take Hydrocodone post procedure? This is what the dentist prescribed. 2) is Keflex a safe antibiotic my MG?. Any other suggestions would be appreciated. I am really scared.

Online User 06-11-2013 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deannc (Post 991372)
I am having 3 wisdom teeth pulled tomorrow. May not sound like a big deal but I am middle age (that's being nice!!) and have MG. I finally got approved to have the procedure done in the hospital at 4:30pm today. I live in a small town in and don't have the best support as far as Neurologists go. She doesn't think anything is a problem and she thinks that my MG is very mild "if I even have it".
I have had elevated Acetylcholine AB levels for the last 3 years and I have trouble with double vision. At times I also have trouble breathing. I myself have been in denial about this whole MG thing but now that I have to have anesthesia I am a little more concerned. I also just found this forum. My questions are 1) is it safe to take Hydrocodone post procedure? This is what the dentist prescribed. 2) is Keflex a safe antibiotic my MG?. Any other suggestions would be appreciated. I am really scared.

Good that you are having it done at the hospital. From my research (only newly diagnosed myself) only someitmes are analgesics and antifibotics a problem. The fact you are having this done is a facility who can treat you immediately if there is an issue should be reassuring. You only need the backup if there is an issue, which there may not be.

I had a knee revision before my MG was diagnosed. I went very low BP and had trouble breathing after dilaudid was administered for pain. The staff immediately treated me and kept me longer than originally planned. I was fine, even with no MG diagnosis. I think things will go fine for you.

Best wishes!

gr8ful 06-12-2013 06:53 AM

I think it is very safe to take those drugs when under the supervision of a hospital staff. They will have a chance to make sure you are in good shape before letting you go home. Sorry you have to have that dental work done but don't be nervous about the MG part of it. It's not uncommon for people with MG to need pain management and antibiotics. Being in a hospital is double safe.

southblues 06-12-2013 05:51 PM

I have taken short term hydrocodone with no problem. You should be fine.

deannc 06-12-2013 07:35 PM

Thanks Celeste! I just woke up from a nap and am really hurting so in response to your post I'm going to stop being a martyr and take the pain med! It's just really scary when I can't breathe!

4-eyes 06-12-2013 09:21 PM

You should be fine and it's important to keep ahead of the pain so you can heal. Best of luck to you!