NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Multiple Sclerosis (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/)
-   -   Prednisone (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/86575-prednisone.html)

slskckjebw 05-08-2009 11:12 AM

Prednisone

My doctor put me on 7.5 mgs of Prednisone daily. I have taken 3 doses and my legs are not as heavy and aching like they were.

Does such a low dose really work that fast or is it just my imagination?

What does it mean when medications like Prednisone work? Imflammation somewhere?

LA

Kitty 05-08-2009 12:54 PM

I've taken Prednisone before with almost immediate relief....but it was a higher dose than 7.5mg.

Prednisone does relieve inflammation but it can be hard on other organs in the body. I always thought that it was one med that had to be taken carefully and sparingly. It can also weaken your bones so it's a good idea to be carefully monitored if you are taking even a lower dose on a regular basis.

slskckjebw 05-08-2009 01:27 PM

I haven't had a huge noticeable difference but just slight. i would not notice it if it weren't for the steps I have to go up and down on a regular basis. He put me on the 7.5 because he wants it ongoing. He told me it would be about 2 weeks before I notice a nice difference. So I was just wondering. My legs are just a little less achy.

LA

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kitty (Post 507669)
I've taken Prednisone before with almost immediate relief....but it was a higher dose than 7.5mg.

Prednisone does relieve inflammation but it can be hard on other organs in the body. I always thought that it was one med that had to be taken carefully and sparingly. It can also weaken your bones so it's a good idea to be carefully monitored if you are taking even a lower dose on a regular basis.

Kitty 05-08-2009 01:52 PM

At such a low dose it will probably take longer to work than it would at a higher dosage. I was on a Medpack that starts off on a high dose and gradually lowers over six days. I've also got 20 mg. tablets that I can take at the first sign of a flare up. It usually helps sx that involve my legs and feet.

The side effects of Prednisone are what keeps me from automatically going for that med regularly. I tend to gain alot of weight (especially in my face) and it causes insomnia for me.

Some people it doesn't bother. It might not affect you that way especially at a lower dose. Good luck! I hope it gives you some relief. :)

Snoopy 05-08-2009 02:23 PM

Hi, LA.

Prednisone helps with inflamation, even very low doses.

My DD has used prednisone once for her asthma in an even smaller dose.

Glad your seeing some benefit from it :)

pud's friend 05-08-2009 11:20 PM

I took 50mg daily for a week for my (not) Bells palsy last year. Taken within 2 hours of first onset, I improved within a couple of days, ate like a horse, and was recovered within 2 months.
Trouble was, it wasn't Bells. So if it 'worked' or not, I'm not sure...