NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Parkinson's Disease (https://www.neurotalk.org/parkinson-s-disease/)
-   -   Constant tongue thrusting (https://www.neurotalk.org/parkinson-s-disease/185146-constant-tongue-thrusting.html)

Lou H 03-09-2013 01:07 AM

Constant tongue thrusting

Sorry to keep bothering you all with this, but I'm having a bad time with constant tongue thrusting which impedes my chewing, speech and swallowing. I'm a 76 yr old male who has Parkinsons and just want to know if someone out there has or had the same problem.

Thanks,
Lou

MeAndPD 03-09-2013 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lou H (Post 964183)
Sorry to keep bothering you all with this, but I'm having a bad time with constant tongue thrusting which impedes my chewing, speech and swallowing. I'm a 76 yr old male who has Parkinsons and just want to know if someone out there has or had the same problem.

Thanks,
Lou

Lou, google "oromandibular dystonia" - is this similar to what you have? I have had this twice in the past 4 years and it lasted for 3-4 months then went away each time - drove me crazy. There's a YouTube video of a patient with this condition and his treatment. I tried hypnosis which worked sort of the first time...

Lou H 03-09-2013 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MeAndPD (Post 964316)
Lou, google "oromandibular dystonia" - is this similar to what you have? I have had this twice in the past 4 years and it lasted for 3-4 months then went away each time - drove me crazy. There's a YouTube video of a patient with this condition and his treatment. I tried hypnosis which worked sort of the first time...

Thanks for the info. I was told a while back by a neuro that this was Oral Bucccal Dyskinesia and that if dealt with, the Parkinsons would get worse. Just trying to see if someone out there has the same condition as y'all come from around the globe and one never knows if there has been other treatments for the condition.

Thank you...

Lou

JoClay 03-09-2013 08:06 PM

My husband has this problem occasionally, and it is especially bad if he is very involved with something, if something is stressful, or when he is watching a movie or tv program with a lot of violence (war scenes, fighting, etc.). While it is not a sure-fire cure, if he chews gum it seems to lessen the problem. It's worth a try!

Lou H 03-10-2013 12:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoClay (Post 964392)
My husband has this problem occasionally, and it is especially bad if he is very involved with something, if something is stressful, or when he is watching a movie or tv program with a lot of violence (war scenes, fighting, etc.). While it is not a sure-fire cure, if he chews gum it seems to lessen the problem. It's worth a try!

Ms Jo Ann, thanks for the response, but I've had this condition for years (gotten worse as time moves on) and it doesn't stop. Thanks again and I wish the very best to you and your husband.

Lou