NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Myasthenia Gravis (https://www.neurotalk.org/myasthenia-gravis/)
-   -   Heat / Humidity (https://www.neurotalk.org/myasthenia-gravis/153846-heat-humidity.html)

gooberoobu 07-19-2011 01:00 AM

Heat / Humidity

Forgive me yet another thread of questions? I'm just so excited to find a site that is on the same wave length.
I guess I'm wondering what y'all do to tolerate this ridiculously hot weather? With the humidity at 120% (obviously a slight exaggeration) and temps in the 90's, I'm really struggling to function.
I try to avoid the great outdoors, but there are just some things that I am required me to be exposed to this.
Any insite? Also, besides breathing issues, what other symptoms do you struggle with as a result of this "beautiful" weather?

Jennie aka gooberoobu

AnnieB3 07-19-2011 02:11 AM

Jennie, I stay inside. Period. My MG goes so fast downhill out in the heat, that I "order in" whenever possible. So many places have free shipping that it hardly seems worth it to go out. Groceries too!

We're in the middle of that heat wave now too.

Here's why it makes MG worse. We have fewer muscle receptors for the acetylcholine to go through to make our muscles strong. So many of us use Mestinon to keep what acetylcholine (ACh) we have in the neuromuscular junction longer. Mestinon is a "cholinesterase inhibitor." It inhibits an enzyme called "Acetylcholinesterase" or AChE. Normally, it's a perfect checks and balances system in the body. ACh goes in and makes muscles strong and then AChE goes in and "mops up" afterwards so we don't get too much of a good thing.

What heat does (cold too to some degree) is to increase that enzyme, therefore mopping up too much acetylcholine before we have a chance to use it.

What humidity does is not allow our bodies to sweat. If we can sweat, we can't cool down. If we can't cool down, more of that enzyme gets produced.

I hope that doesn't confuse the issue. Just stay out of the heat! And that includes heat from exercise, activity, infection or whatever. ;)

Annie

suev 07-19-2011 05:44 AM

I stay out of heat as much as possible...try for early morning or after sun down outings. Stay hydrated. Ice packs help some - anything to try to keep your body from getting overheated.

For MG'ers, summer seems incredibly long!!

Tbarney 08-07-2011 12:46 AM

I also try to stay out of the heat, but as a softball coach that is tough to do. Our season is over now, and I have been staying indoors during this 100 degree weather. It zaps me bad.

Crossing my fingers for cooler weather when I go back to school and no air conditioning. I have to take naps after those terribly hot days at work.

Seamusmac 12-09-2013 10:34 PM

re Heat and MG

I have had MG since 2006. At the moment I am going through a series of tests. I have been on Pyridostigmine as well as other meds since 2006. My symptoms have flared up in the last couple of months. The weather is getting hotter and my MG is getting bad on Hot days.

At present I am having a running battle with my Neuro. He maintains that heat does not cause MG to become worse. Does anyone know of an articles on the internet re MG and heat.

pingpongman 12-10-2013 09:02 AM

I sent you a private message.
Mike