NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Parkinson's Disease (https://www.neurotalk.org/parkinson-s-disease/)
-   -   The mystery of Α-synuclein (https://www.neurotalk.org/parkinson-s-disease/220216-mystery-synuclein.html)

GerryW 05-13-2015 12:34 PM

The mystery of Α-synuclein

Candesartan (Atacand) is available by prescription for hypertension.

http://gumc.georgetown.edu/news/Unra...ing-its-Course

GerryW 05-13-2015 01:09 PM

Some other brain anti-inflammatories are curcumin, green tea, ginseng, gastrodin, resveratrol, and ginger.

I take all but the ginseng and I have no idea if they are helping or not.

Tupelo3 05-13-2015 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GerryW (Post 1142132)
Some other brain anti-inflammatories are curcumin, green tea, ginseng, gastrodin, resveratrol, and ginger.

Putting aside this was a rodent study, the key to the research was targeting the newly formed TLR1/2 receptor. Candesartan specifically targets the TLR2 receptors.

Of the anti-inflammatories you suggested: curcumin, green tea polyphenols, and resveratrol have all been clinical shown to target TLR2. Ginseng and ginger are better for targeting TLR4 or TLR6. I'm not sure about gastrodin.

GerryW 05-13-2015 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tupelo3 (Post 1142146)
Putting aside this was a rodent study, the key to the research was targeting the newly formed TLR1/2 receptor. Candesartan specifically targets the TLR2 receptors.

Of the anti-inflammatories you suggested: curcumin, green tea polyphenols, and resveratrol have all been clinical shown to target TLR2. Ginseng and ginger are better for targeting TLR4 or TLR6. I'm not sure about gastrodin.

Still does the job.

"Then Maguire-Zeiss and her team tested a drug, developed by researchers at the University of Colorado, which specifically targets TLR1/2. They also tested the hypertension drug candesartan, which can target TLR2. Both agents significantly reduced inflammation."

In any case, I didn't mean to suggest that the anti-inflammatory properties of these herbs were all solely dependent on targeting TLR. Sorry if I confused you.

Tupelo3 05-13-2015 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GerryW (Post 1142152)
Still does the job.

"Then Maguire-Zeiss and her team tested a drug, developed by researchers at the University of Colorado, which specifically targets TLR1/2. They also tested the hypertension drug candesartan, which can target TLR2. Both agents significantly reduced inflammation."

In any case, I didn't mean to suggest that the anti-inflammatory properties of these herbs were all solely dependent on targeting TLR. Sorry if I confused you.

Actually, I think I confused you. I was just trying to point out that if this research team is really on to something, and we wanted to try and use a natural approach like you suggested, then some of the supplements may emulate the effect of candesartan more than others. And, I totally agree, most of these supplements target other receptors in addition to TLR. Sorry if I confused you.

Jim091866 05-14-2015 04:09 PM

a-synuclein

As I read it they have found a way to lessen the response of the cells, TLR 1 and 2. But they do not say what happens to the proteins that are still building up within the brain. Their study only says that it stops or slows the inflammation. What happens to the proteins that are still miss folding?

nuggets 05-16-2015 09:20 PM

Brain anti-inflimatories

Quote:

Originally Posted by GerryW (Post 1142132)

Gerry,
You can try red ginseng from Korea, ginseng is an adaptogen, there is no harm. Ginseng helps to sleep but it's a very good sleep.
Buy red ginseng in a jar, it's the best one. It costs around more than C$40.