NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Peripheral Neuropathy (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/)
-   -   Benfotiamine (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/227646-benfotiamine.html)

groucho 10-21-2015 08:10 AM

Benfotiamine

I'll admit I'm pretty much a hard head, but my wife came across a posting on facebook from an older fellow, who swears he had good pain relief just a week after taking Benfotiamine. He also claims that he had friends who did the same.
I've taken regular thiamine for quite awhile now & really don't think it's benefiting me, but I like a beer (sometimes 2) in the evening & know the body is depleted of thiamine, by alcohol.

Since I had some new forefoot burning start to develop at the end of summer, I've also started taking some chelated magnesium (Started with epsom lotion). Has any one here had any kind of pain relief they can attribute directly to Benfotiamine or even Magnesium?

I guess it's no good to be impatient, but I did say I was a hard head.

Patrick Winter 10-21-2015 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by groucho (Post 1178858)
I'll admit I'm pretty much a hard head, but my wife came across a posting on facebook from an older fellow, who swears he had good pain relief just a week after taking Benfotiamine. He also claims that he had friends who did the same.
I've taken regular thiamine for quite awhile now & really don't think it's benefiting me, but I like a beer (sometimes 2) in the evening & know the body is depleted of thiamine, by alcohol.

Since I had some new forefoot burning start to develop at the end of summer, I've also started taking some chelated magnesium (Started with epsom lotion). Has any one here had any kind of pain relief they can attribute directly to Benfotiamine or even Magnesium?

I guess it's no good to be impatient, but I did say I was a hard head.

Never had pain relief with benfotiamine. My experience (and proven in clinical studies) is that R-Lipoic Acid gives relief (not a lot though). I believe Benfotiamine is primarily used for its Detoxification benefits. It is essential to anyone consuming alcohol. Consuming alcohol with neuropathy is pretty bad idea in general. There may be benefits to a small glass of wine but beer is pretty much bad news for neuro sufferers.

magnesium has some proven benefits if you can handle it. If you take gabapentin or Lyrica though it can actually make things worse. It will actually negate the pain reduction benefits of those medicines. Aluminum or magnesium containing products may decrease the amount of gabapentin/lyrica your body absorbs.

mrsD 10-21-2015 09:08 AM

Benfotiamine seems to help those with a genetic problem with thiamine metabolism. Heavy drinkers seem to have positive effects and those recovering from alcohol overuse. Also those who consume lots carbohydrates, need more thiamine as well.

It is possible that those who respond to it may have some damage over time to the thiamine dehydrogenases, from enviromental toxins, but this hasn't been revealed yet.