NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD and CRPS) (https://www.neurotalk.org/reflex-sympathetic-dystrophy-rsd-and-crps-/)
-   -   Weird Lumps... (https://www.neurotalk.org/reflex-sympathetic-dystrophy-rsd-and-crps-/14902-weird-lumps.html)

Brokenwings 03-06-2007 03:41 PM

Weird Lumps...

Hi Everyone! Recently, I have noticed hard "lumps" about the size of a small pea on the palms of my hands..they are not painful, but there is a bit of swelling just above the lumps.

Has anyone else had these "lumps" develop? What the heck are they?!

Thanks for your input!

Brokenwings

dreambeliever128 03-06-2007 04:38 PM

Hi Brokenwing,

Are they cist or do they look like something else?

I develop cist in me. I have had 5 removed and have 3 more now. They are under the skin. My Dr. takes them out of me in his office. He took one out about 6 months ago. It was in my right leg and I now have 2 more in that leg and one in my left arm. It's inside at the elbow bend and he won't remove it because of arteries and veins around it.

Also we have talked about getting places such as sores from the RSDS. I had some under my chin and they have finally healed. It took 2 years for them to heal.

When you see your Dr. you might let him look at them.

Ada

DiMarie 03-06-2007 04:41 PM

ganglion cyst

I had ganglion cyst in the same ara. I was doing an activity that flared them. I had motrin and used my wruste brace for several weeks. After a few minths they went away. My daughter had two and they had to be removed.

Do you have a history of carpal tunnel type symptoms?
Dianne

Brokenwings 03-06-2007 05:33 PM

Thank you everyone. Yes, I have bilateral CTS--the right one was operated on, but due to the RSD, I am unable to have the left surgery (or any surgery now, for that matter). Hmmmm--I see my Doctor next month.

I wear my wrist splints quite faithfully, and have been on an antinflammatory for 4 years or so. Well, fortunately, the lumps don't hurt, I just don't want them to get any bigger! They are in the crease of both palms, and they can be sort of smooshed from side-to-side, so it seems as though they aren't adhered to anything. Weird!!!!

Ahhh, another "RSD Mystery"... (or maybe not)!!!

Brokenwings

artist 03-06-2007 06:50 PM

Hi,

Does sound like a ganglion - that smooshing is the tell-tale (but I'm no doctor :) ) - they can come if you've knocked or banged yourself, and it's a natural cushion developed by the body for protection. I had one on my wrist, one on my earlobe (from earrings).

They're full of a gelatin-like substance, hence the smooshing. They stay around for a while, then vanish. Don't hurt at all - doctors make a fortune out of removing them, but it's seldom necessary.

But show your doctor, of course, sounds like ganglion, but better to be safe (and we can't actually see it.....). Not caused by RSD, btw, everyone gets a few in their life,
All the best!

frogga 03-06-2007 07:01 PM

they used to be hit by a bible to burst them.

well. i suppose that's faith healing.

artist 03-06-2007 07:06 PM

Yes! That's right, that was the folk remedy! :D :D - Should think that would have caused a couple more!! (Your memory hasn't pegged out yet, Frogga)...
all the best!

Brokenwings 03-06-2007 10:22 PM

LOL,LOL,LOL!!!!! Well, I am not sure that I have either the faith OR the guts to bang my lumps with a Bible!!!! (I' ll leave Bible-thumping to the Preachers!) But READING it certainly couldn't hurt!

Thanks Artist and Frogga! Your humour is PRICELESS!!!!! (STILL laughing!!!!!)

Brokenwings

DiMarie 03-07-2007 12:52 AM

drain

Our ortho gave a shot of steroids, and another put a needle in to drain, just because of the position in the hands to be in the way,
Dianne

Brokenwings 03-07-2007 01:51 AM

Hi Di Marie -- tha sounds a little painful! I will be sure that my Doc takes a look at them. Hopefully, they will "go away", or at least not get any worse!

Thanks!!!!