NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Spinal Disorders & Back Pain (https://www.neurotalk.org/spinal-disorders-and-back-pain/)
-   -   Anyone has had non traumatic discectomy (https://www.neurotalk.org/spinal-disorders-and-back-pain/198676-traumatic-discectomy.html)

mariback63 12-15-2013 11:55 PM

Anyone has had non traumatic discectomy

Hi, I'm a new member. I will have a non traumatic discectomy on the 27th for L5-S1 herniated disc on the right side. I had three months treatment with some relief at moments. Now, with more inflammation in my sacrum, gluteus, thigh, leg and foot. The doctor will operate me is the second neurosurgeon I saw. This doctor was recommended by my psychiatrist (last year treated for a depression), who had the same surgery for a L4-L5 herniated disc. I was told to have a micro discectomy by the first neurosurgeon, but I wasn't convinced. It's only minimally invasive for the fact of a smaller cut compared with an open one, but there is some invasion inside, and I'm 50 years old used to exercise, so I want a lasting result, not like many people with 4 or 5 years of good result until they get some complication.
I would like to have the opinion of someone else who had the non traumatic discectomy beside my psychiatrist. This kind of surgery is done only in Los Angeles, CA and it's not new. Hope I find someone...!! :)

jayd0484 02-27-2014 01:31 AM

Hi. I'm a new visitor to the forum. I have the same condition as you describe.. a protrusion at L5/S1 on the right (mines at 9mm.. they tell me that's bad) and it's impinging the nerve root causing intense sciatica.

I'm exploring surgical options and what they entail. Can you tell me more about this non-traumatic discectomy? Can you provide resources (web pages, documents, etc.) for more information? Any info is greatly appreciated!

Good luck kind sir!

Geno 03-04-2014 07:49 PM

I herniated a disk L4/L5 and was incapable of walking until I had a micro-discectomy. The jelly left the doughnut and was in need of repair on the blown out side. I couldn't walk unassisted.

They removed about "20% to 30%" of my disk and "milked" the remaining fluid from the disk and taped me back up. 6 weeks later...I was pretty good, but had a much flatter disk and needed to be careful with how I moved and what I did.

That was in October of 2010...in April of 2013 I had a 2nd surgery (at 46) to cauterize some nerves that were being pinched from the gradual loss of height in my disk.

The disk is still losing height and causing issues, but I don't want a fusion. I do know from reading other posts that fusions are a domino effect...puts more stress on the disk above and below.

I'm not sure if that helps or not, but I hope so.

I hope you're coping well.

jayd0484 03-07-2014 10:22 PM

I'm very sorry to hear that. Is that the typical result from a micro-discectomy?

Your story confirms my own fears... my disc is still intact, though the bulge is rather sizable (9mm). If they were to cut that off would compromise the integrity of the disc, and it seems to me it would make things worse in the long run.

What else can you do? Is fusion the only option they are giving you?

I assume the non-traumatic discectomy has the same risks, minus the damage to the foramina?

aj02 04-29-2014 03:28 PM

Check information

Quote:

Originally Posted by jayd0484 (Post 1055574)
I'm very sorry to hear that. Is that the typical result from a micro-discectomy?

Your story confirms my own fears... my disc is still intact, though the bulge is rather sizable (9mm). If they were to cut that off would compromise the integrity of the disc, and it seems to me it would make things worse in the long run.

What else can you do? Is fusion the only option they are giving you?

I assume the non-traumatic discectomy has the same risks, minus the damage to the foramina?

Re your concern of integrity of spine being compromised. It all depends on the details of surgery....yes many procedures are alike but you need to know exactly from the surgeon and have these questions answered....also pls seek more than one opinion if you can.