NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Multiple Sclerosis (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/)
-   -   Fatigue and ritalin (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/75297-fatigue-ritalin.html)

woodhaven 01-30-2009 03:31 PM

Fatigue and ritalin

I have been really going thru a bad spell of fatigue lately. After sleeping all night, get up in the morning and fall asleep over my cup of coffee. Anyway, the doc has prescribed Ritalin to help with the fatigue. Has anyone else used Ritalin for this problem, and if so, any good results? Thanks for any responses.:confused:

brandonwall 01-31-2009 04:54 PM

http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/thread71514.html

Niko 01-31-2009 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by woodhaven (Post 456836)
I have been really going thru a bad spell of fatigue lately. After sleeping all night, get up in the morning and fall asleep over my cup of coffee. Anyway, the doc has prescribed Ritalin to help with the fatigue. Has anyone else used Ritalin for this problem, and if so, any good results? Thanks for any responses.:confused:

Hiya. Over the past several years I've taken provigil, amantadine separately and together. Now, I take Ritalin-SR ... it's ... okay.

My fatigue is of the 'severe' type ... I take the Ritalin once a day and I just have to adjust my day ... I've learned what activities will cause the sleepies, so I just adapt to the situation ... if that makes any sense at all.

But, everyone is different and with that, everyone's reactions to a medication will differ ...

Wishing you well!

Niko:cool:

sw8689 06-23-2010 04:34 PM

First day on Ritalin

Quote:

Originally Posted by Niko (Post 457692)
Hiya. Over the past several years I've taken provigil, amantadine separately and together. Now, I take Ritalin-SR ... it's ... okay.

My fatigue is of the 'severe' type ... I take the Ritalin once a day and I just have to adjust my day ... I've learned what activities will cause the sleepies, so I just adapt to the situation ... if that makes any sense at all.

But, everyone is different and with that, everyone's reactions to a medication will differ ...

Wishing you well!

Niko:cool:

Today I took my first Ritalin pill, so how about we let each other know how it's working. My fatigue is really taking over my life and my body has turned to jelly because I am on the bed all day. Modifinal is the stimulant I have been using for abbey 7 years and I guess it doesn't much wok any more. My neuro tried me on 4 AP, potassium channel blocker, but one pill was enough as I was very vert dizzy on it.

Fatigue and weakness is debilitating, if we can combat those it is much easier to fight the other symptoms - except pain of course.

Keep in touch. If there are any longer Time ritulin users out there who can shed some light on experiential side effects, efficacy, and best dosage, sustained realease etc. Would be grateful.
Sandra

doydie 06-23-2010 10:55 PM

I am a long time Ritalin user. I'm not really sure how much of a help it is but it helps more than any of the others I tried. I take 25 mg. 30 mg helped a little more but my B/P didn't like it at all! I have a weird body sleep/awake pattern. I think it's called cicadia or something like that! It doesn't matter how much sleep I get or what time of the day I get I really don't feel really good and peppy until about 7 PM!!!! So I usually don't go to bed until about midnight or so. If I sleep really late 2 PM is my cut off time to take the Ritalin. Because I don't really feel it until the evening I tried taking it in the evening a couple of times and that was a big mistake. No sleep at all. I wish it had that effect in the morning! And I still have days that no matter what I do I feel just down right lousy but I know that I will feel better in the evening. Psycological maybe? I don't know.Good luck with whatever you take.

mrsD 06-24-2010 07:12 AM

Many people with chronic tiredness from neuro issues, are offered stimulants to help at one time or another.

This works for most. But dosing is important, and understanding that with long time use, stimulants (Ritalin and amphetamines) can cause a rebound depression when they wear off. Sometimes this is felt as increased fatigue, and sometimes is is felt as a psychological depression. This is because the dopamine gets used up and has to build up again by the next day.

So if anyone here tries these drugs, and feels WORSE, then that is a sign that staying away from them may be the solution.

Lady 06-25-2010 11:57 PM

Sandra, I just wanted to welcome you to NT. Nice to meet you. :) I hope the Ritalin works for both you and Woodhaven. You can compare notes as newbies on the drug.

sw8689 06-26-2010 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lady (Post 668884)
Sandra, I just wanted to welcome you to NT. Nice to meet you. :) I hope the Ritalin works for both you and Woodhaven. You can compare notes as newbies on the drug.

Thanks Lady,
I have now taken it for four days, reduced my modifinil to 2 a day and so far I have not had any dramatic results. However, I definatley do feel alert, more energy, and I am looking forward to starting the second dose in the afternoon, because I really notice when it wears off. Not rebound for sure, I am watching for this, but it is that blanket fatigue that we are trying to eliminate. I have had one headache and wasn't sure if it was allergies/sinus or the ritiln, so we will see.

Long and short of it, so far, 4.5 stars, but it is early days.
Sandra

sw8689 07-02-2010 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by woodhaven (Post 456836)

Hey there Woodhaven, have you given Ritilin a try yet?

So far, it's a five star for me on a low dose.

SallyC 07-02-2010 07:09 PM

Woodhaven has passed away..:( My condolences to his DW. :hug::hug:

http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/thread126340.html

May he rest in peace.