NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Peripheral Neuropathy (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/)
-   -   Weird But Good Happening After Normal EMG (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/217939-weird-happening-normal-emg.html)

anon050715 03-25-2015 12:13 PM

Weird But Good Happening After Normal EMG

So my EMG was completely normal and since my EMG and the normal test my "neuropathy" has pretty much lifted!

I hope it stays like this but it appears there is definitely a psychosomatic component to my symptoms. Worrying and focusing on it made it worse and forgetting about it makes is virtually vanish.

I still have a MRI to complete but the neurologist said I have no nerve damage whatsoever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

xrox 03-25-2015 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UTGrad (Post 1131770)
So my EMG was completely normal and since my EMG and the normal test my "neuropathy" has pretty much lifted!

I hope it stays like this but it appears there is definitely a psychosomatic component to my symptoms. Worrying and focusing on it made it worse and forgetting about it makes is virtually vanish.

I still have a MRI to complete but the neurologist said I have no nerve damage whatsoever.

I've read that longstanding generalized anxiety can cause symptoms exactly like neuropathy including tingling, numbness, pain, and percieved weakness. IIRC the difference is the nerves are not being damaged.

en bloc 03-25-2015 01:08 PM

Hopefully your symptoms won't return. It is possible that your existing anxiety may have played a role in the increased symptoms.

The EMG results are great, but don't forget that EMG testing ONLY checks large fiber nerve damage. It is NOT able to detect small fiber neuropathy...which would be more consistent with your symptoms.

Just see how it goes and should your symptoms return, then get your MRI and maybe ask for a skin biopsy. Hopefully neither will be necessary. Keep us posted.

anon050715 03-25-2015 01:36 PM

My guess is something affected my nerves but my fear and anxiety of something being terribly wrong exacerbated the symptoms or prolonged them.

anon050715 03-25-2015 01:37 PM

But fingers crossed that whatever it was or is has passed.

baba222 03-25-2015 01:44 PM

agree

Quote:

Originally Posted by en bloc (Post 1131789)
Hopefully your symptoms won't return. It is possible that your existing anxiety may have played a role in the increased symptoms.

The EMG results are great, but don't forget that EMG testing ONLY checks large fiber nerve damage. It is NOT able to detect small fiber neuropathy...which would be more consistent with your symptoms.

Just see how it goes and should your symptoms return, then get your MRI and maybe ask for a skin biopsy. Hopefully neither will be necessary. Keep us posted.

Hope that your body has righted itself. Small fiber neuropathy can't be tested for except with skin biopsy and other auonomic tests.

baba222 03-25-2015 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xrox (Post 1131785)
I've read that longstanding generalized anxiety can cause symptoms exactly like neuropathy including tingling, numbness, pain, and percieved weakness. IIRC the difference is the nerves are not being damaged.

Unfortunately for some of us, that is exactly what we have been told and can delay diagnosis. Rarely is it anxiety-most often symptoms cause the anxiety. Not anxiety producing the symptoms.

anon050715 03-25-2015 02:01 PM

Question for the senior members that have been around for a while.

Have yall seen folks join the forum, post for a while and then disappear?

I'll be honest if this goes away I won't be hanging around lol

For the folks that wonder if this is reversible the answer might lie in members that post for a while and disappear.

Coriny 03-25-2015 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UTGrad (Post 1131770)

YAY!!! Stop being a worry wart and move on!! I pray this all goes away for you.

xrox 03-25-2015 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baba222 (Post 1131803)
Unfortunately for some of us, that is exactly what we have been told and can delay diagnosis. Rarely is it anxiety-most often symptoms cause the anxiety. Not anxiety producing the symptoms.

I don't doubt it. However, living with anxiety/OCD my entire adult life has shown me just how powerful it can be. It is for sure a copout for doctors but for people who suffer with it there should be serious consideration of its impact.