NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Arnold Chiari Malformation & Syringomyelia (https://www.neurotalk.org/arnold-chiari-malformation-and-syringomyelia/)
-   -   A few q's from a newbie (https://www.neurotalk.org/arnold-chiari-malformation-and-syringomyelia/106355-qs-newbie.html)

cattea 10-22-2009 11:18 AM

A few q's from a newbie

Hi, this is my first post. I have Chiari 1 dx about 6 years ago. Went to neuro for check-up recently and doc suggested surgery. I have a cervical/thorasic MRI coming up to check for syrnix. If I do have syrnix I plan to have surgery, if not I may try to 'deal with' the Chiari until I absolutly need the surgery. So here are my Q's.
1. For anyone who has had syringomyelia once it was found how rushed were the docs to see that surgey was done?
2.Do most insurance companies cover either or both chiari/syringomelia. I have Atena. When called they want the code for the surgery. However, while this surgery is not elective I need to know whether they cover it before I consult a neurosurgen, otherwise I am paying a neurosurgen for a consultation for a surgery I can't get because if don't cover it.
I hope that made sense.:o
Thanks for any input and info.

ewizabeth 10-22-2009 12:13 PM

Welcome to the forum Cattea! :) NT is a great place for making new friends and finding information as well as sharing with others. I hope you'll find the answer to your question and maybe make some new friends as well. Take care. :hug:

http://dl6.glitter-graphics.net/pub/...np3rl9iy69.jpg

brainiac 10-22-2009 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cattea (Post 581227)
Hi, this is my first post. I have Chiari 1 dx about 6 years ago. Went to neuro for check-up recently and doc suggested surgery. I have a cervical/thorasic MRI coming up to check for syrnix. If I do have syrnix I plan to have surgery, if not I may try to 'deal with' the Chiari until I absolutly need the surgery. So here are my Q's.
1. For anyone who has had syringomyelia once it was found how rushed were the docs to see that surgey was done?
2.Do most insurance companies cover either or both chiari/syringomelia. I have Atena. When called they want the code for the surgery. However, while this surgery is not elective I need to know whether they cover it before I consult a neurosurgen, otherwise I am paying a neurosurgen for a consultation for a surgery I can't get because if don't cover it.
I hope that made sense.:o
Thanks for any input and info.

First I have the exact same thing, the Chiari, Syrinx, elongated tonsils etc, I have Aetna and yes it is covered, it must be preapproved first,then there should be no problem, as far as the Syrinx ans surgery are concerned, I'm sure that if the doctor is decent he will probably ask you how much pain you are i and what SYMPTOMS you are having, this is what will definitely make the choice of wether or not to have surgery, I just had my Fourth surgery 2 months ago, I hope this helps, hope to talk to you soon!

Hockey 10-23-2009 05:51 AM

I just wanted to welcome you to NT!:)

braingonebad 10-23-2009 11:57 AM

Welcome to the forum!

My best advice is this - ask for contrast with your MRI, so if you do have SM, it will better show up. Mine would not have without contrast.

Can't advise on surgery. My docs can't even spell syringomyelia. They can't even say it. LOL.

Don't know where you are, I'm near Toledo OH.

I was dx in '04. My syrinx is (was) T5-T8 about 3mm wide. My sx were hard to peg because I have other health issues, but one for sure was I could not tell hot/cold in my hands. I also suspect the hand/arm tingling and numbness after lifting (as in lifting 15-20 lbs, bringing in groceries) is due to this.

All I really do about sm is try not to provoke it - no serious physical stuff. Last I read, they did not operate on syrinx under 6 mm wide and surgery was getting less popular at any rate. I admit I don't keep up on this stuff though.