NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Peripheral Neuropathy (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/)
-   -   odd sensations (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/249107-odd-sensations.html)

Goosiegoo 09-05-2017 10:29 AM

odd sensations

Hi,
I have been told I have SFN despite all negative biospies, qsarts, and sweat tests. Anyway, My sensations of severe freezing and burning have gone away, but now I sometimes get odd sensations on my feet - almost like I can feel a slight wrinkle in my skin or a fuzzy area in front of my big toe.
It has come and gone in the past and I pray that my current episode is
going to go away too.
I get terrible anxiety for these symptoms.
Does anyone else with SFN get these too and if so, what helps you.
I took an Epson salt hot bath the day before this re-started.
Thank you!

mrsD 09-05-2017 10:52 AM

It is difficult to say, as everyone is so different.

But I would suggest you do not use HOT water when bathing or soaking. Lukewarm is less likely to disturb the nerves.

Goosiegoo 09-05-2017 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrsD (Post 1250347)
It is difficult to say, as everyone is so different.

But I would suggest you do not use HOT water when bathing or soaking. Lukewarm is less likely to disturb the nerves.

ok, thank you!

tnthomas 09-06-2017 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goosiegoo (Post 1250345)
Hi,
I have been told I have SFN despite all negative biospies, qsarts, and sweat tests. Anyway, My sensations of severe freezing and burning have gone away, but now I sometimes get odd sensations on my feet - almost like I can feel a slight wrinkle in my skin or a fuzzy area in front of my big toe.
It has come and gone in the past and I pray that my current episode is
going to go away too.
I get terrible anxiety for these symptoms.
Does anyone else with SFN get these too and if so, what helps you.
I took an Epson salt hot bath the day before this re-started.
Thank you!

I pretty much have PN(idiopathic), started in the mid 90s with the weird 'wrinkle' feeling on the underside of the tips of my toes. Then, 6 years ago when making a dr. appointment to investigate what I thought was a foot bone spur, was when I noticed how extensive the numbness was, in both my feet.

Since then, I've suspected SFN, but have not pursued tx, as I don't believe the doctor's really care about these problems. When my [former] doc prescribed Gabapentin for the numbness in my feet, I knew that he:

1. wasn't paying attention to what I was saying, or
2. didn't really have a solution, but didn't want to admit it, so
3. was giving me Gabapentin as a placebo, so I would go away and
4. be thankful my condition wasn't worse, and not bother him with hard to diagnose conditions.

I hope you can find solutions, both for your SFN symptoms and the accompanying anxiety, which I too am plagued by, but for possibly different reasons.

dogwalker 09-06-2017 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tnthomas (Post 1250393)
I pretty much have PN(idiopathic), started in the mid 90s with the weird 'wrinkle' feeling on the underside of the tips of my toes. Then, 6 years ago when making a dr. appointment to investigate what I thought was a foot bone spur, was when I noticed how extensive the numbness was, in both my feet.

Since then, I've suspected SFN, but have not pursued tx, as I don't believe the doctor's really care about these problems. When my [former] doc prescribed Gabapentin for the numbness in my feet, I knew that he:

1. wasn't paying attention to what I was saying, or
2. didn't really have a solution, but didn't want to admit it, so
3. was giving me Gabapentin as a placebo, so I would go away and
4. be thankful my condition wasn't worse, and not bother him with hard to diagnose conditions.

I hope you can find solutions, both for your SFN symptoms and the accompanying anxiety, which I too am plagued by, but for possibly different reasons.

I agree, doctors are so eager to throw gabapentin at us! I've been offered it right off the bat by my primary, a podiatrist, rheumatologist, and 2 neurologists. Even though my complaint was pain that was extremely localized and sporadic. Thank goodness for this forum where I found out about topical products that were a much better solution!