NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/)
-   -   Moving forward (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/163776-moving-forward.html)

Eowyn 01-22-2012 04:57 PM

Moving forward

Past several weeks have been crazy. MIL who lived with us died on Christmas Eve. Sister got married New Year's Eve. Flew to the other side of the country for MIL's memorial.

Also had neuropsych evals right in the middle of all that, had several meltdowns at work, and employer finally decided to give me a medical termination.

The neuropsych eval shows that cognitive functions are generally intact but very slow, he thinks due to pain from post-concussion headaches complicated by depression and anxiety (which have been considerably worse since the concussion).

I'm in the middle of reams of application paperwork right now for SSDI, unemployment, whatever.

Don't really have questions or advice, but just wanted to pop in and let everybody know how I'm doing. This board has been SUCH an amazing source of information and support for me. Thank you all for being there.

Mark in Idaho 01-22-2012 05:07 PM

It is not uncommon for a NeuroPsych to try to put causation on non-organic issues. Mine tried to do the same.

At least SSDI will not depend on the NPA for their decisions. They will do their own evaluations.

Keep in mind that SSDI will average your work income to determine if you qualify. Any jumps in income because of attempts to return to work can be averaged with the non-work periods. Just subtract out any disability income received.

I tried to make my income statement too complicated and it caused trouble.

I just hope your State Disability Determination Service is better than the one here in Idaho.

My best to you.

SpaceCadet 01-22-2012 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eowyn (Post 844020)
Past several weeks have been crazy. MIL who lived with us died on Christmas Eve. Sister got married New Year's Eve. Flew to the other side of the country for MIL's memorial.

Also had neuropsych evals right in the middle of all that, had several meltdowns at work, and employer finally decided to give me a medical termination.

The neuropsych eval shows that cognitive functions are generally intact but very slow, he thinks due to pain from post-concussion headaches complicated by depression and anxiety (which have been considerably worse since the concussion).

I'm in the middle of reams of application paperwork right now for SSDI, unemployment, whatever.

Don't really have questions or advice, but just wanted to pop in and let everybody know how I'm doing. This board has been SUCH an amazing source of information and support for me. Thank you all for being there.

Wow, lot's of stressful things happening on your end. I know how you feel...just stay strong and keep moving forward with your recovery.