NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD and CRPS) (https://www.neurotalk.org/reflex-sympathetic-dystrophy-rsd-and-crps-/)
-   -   Cannot hop, skip, jump... (https://www.neurotalk.org/reflex-sympathetic-dystrophy-rsd-and-crps-/229898-hop-skip-jump.html)

BioBased 12-14-2015 04:54 PM

Cannot hop, skip, jump...

Due to some significant set backs in the past two months I stopped going to PT and yoga.

Despite these changes I was able, on my own, to eliminate crutches, but I need a cane for any prolonged walking, not that I do much of it. At this point I still cannot hop, skip, jump or easily walk downstairs. I think I need more PT, but is it possible these motor functions will return with time?

The big trigger point knots have started to diminish so I am hopeful that I am recovering, but I am a bit sad, because it doesn't take much to derail me.

mama mac 12-14-2015 06:00 PM

Hope you are getting back on track. It is so frustrating when set backs happen so easily and take so long to recover from. Having to pace myself so slowly is driving me nuts. It takes forever to get things done. Plowing through just has too great a consequence. I have become a snail. Anyway, I would think in time you will regain your former functioning. Just maybe not as quickly as you would like. ~McSnail (mama mac)

catra121 12-14-2015 07:53 PM

it is definitely possible...but only if you work at it slowly but surely. I can't hop, skip, or jump...something about the impact doesn't agree with my body...but stairs aren't a problem except with the worst flares and with my walker (4 wheeled rollator) I can walk for hours usually just taking small breaks as needed. It took a good year to get to this point and it took a long time to get the endurance up. I can't do as much with just the cane...the walker takes a lot more weight off the bad leg and helps with the balance a lot. Added bonus that people tend to give me space in crowds and less worries of being bumped into. So keep working at it. With time you learn to recognize your own limits and can keep pushing yourself without overdoing it and causing a set back.

Littlepaw 12-14-2015 08:06 PM

Bio you silly bird. Why for do you need to hop, skip or jump? Are these things that you would normally do on a daily basis? :p I would skip (sorry, blame the ketamine from today...) the impact and strain of anything like that which could cause injury.

Only worry about actions you do everyday. The stairs may come with more time. They require a complicated set of motions and significant weightbearing on a small point. I had trouble with them as recently as this summer, one year out from surgery. You WILL get stronger.

I agree with Mama and Catra. The recovery goes slowly. I had so many setbacks from which I would have to start again I lost count. And that was being careful! When this happens, rest, then approach again slowly. Over and over and over again. Whew! It does get old but I agree it pays off over time. Are you using a tennis ball or something on those trigger points?

Congrats on getting off crutches! That's one heck of an accomplishment. You are moving forward (just at our pace, not other people's pace). Keep up the good work and don't overdo. It just ain't worth it.

:hug:

PurpleFoot721 12-15-2015 12:05 AM

Congrats on losing the crutches Bio. I can't wait until I am able to do the same. I think it is great that you are able to do that on your own. Healing takes time and reminding your body how to do things again takes even longer.

As for me, hopping and jumping went out the window, well more like off the roof, long ago.

Mac, thank you for your cute signature. It really brought a smile to my face:)

visioniosiv 12-16-2015 03:55 PM

Hey Bio! The triple jump is the most random field event anyways - there is not much practical value in it; trust me. ;)

The only thing we can aim for is net gain, and ditching those crutches is a bigtime step in the net gain direction!

Imahotep 12-17-2015 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BioBased (Post 1188402)
Due to some significant set backs in the past two months I stopped going to PT and yoga.

Despite these changes I was able, on my own, to eliminate crutches, but I need a cane for any prolonged walking, not that I do much of it. At this point I still cannot hop, skip, jump or easily walk downstairs. I think I need more PT, but is it possible these motor functions will return with time?

The big trigger point knots have started to diminish so I am hopeful that I am recovering, but I am a bit sad, because it doesn't take much to derail me.

You sound a lot like me.

I just keep slogging on and can have day after day of relatively symptom free days and then it smacks me down.