NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Peripheral Neuropathy (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/)
-   -   Does rain increase pain? or old wives tale... (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/164561-rain-increase-pain-wives-tale.html)

adelina 02-07-2012 02:37 PM

Does rain increase pain? or old wives tale...

You know how people say "Oh my knee is really bugging me - it's gonna rain!" - is there any truth to that? I woke up today to a good, strong rain (for sunny CA), which we havn't had in a while and my pn symptoms are a bit bizarre. I am much more achy all over (which is unusual - I am normally just sore in my arms unless fighting a virus), also my wrists are just shooting electricty constantly this morning which usually comes on only if I do a LOT of activity. My coordination is totally off in my arms and hands, and again this is usually somthing that normally is associated with activity. So I am just curious if the rain has anything to do with it....or maybe I am just fighting a virus - goodness knows with 4 children their always bring me home little gifts inthe form of a "bug":rolleyes: Any ideas?

mrsD 02-07-2012 02:43 PM

I think it is the low pressure that accompanies the weather change.

I always feel terrible when the LOWs come and stay.

Kitt 02-07-2012 02:47 PM

Yes, the pressure changes. However, not all people experience it. I sure do.

malawigirl08 02-07-2012 05:34 PM

I definately do, which begs the question, why do I live in Scotland?:p

ginnie 02-07-2012 05:45 PM

Hi adelina

Good to hear from you, but sorry you are having some more trouble physically. In my case YES rain and the damp cold absolutely does effect the rod in my neck and my joints with DDD. I can tell it is going to rain before the weatherman! Hope you can get some relief. Take care ginnie

adelina 02-07-2012 06:19 PM

Thanks for all the responses - Wow, so this is really interesting. What is it about a low pressure system that causes pn to flare-up? I am 10x more achy, tingly, electric, heavy limb-feeling and just plain more tired than other comparable days that were sunny. I have NEVER before considered weather a factor in my symptoms but now I think I will pay more attention to it. But I am curious as to how it works...Does anyone know why and or how?

adelina 02-07-2012 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by malawigirl08 (Post 849328)
I definately do, which begs the question, why do I live in Scotland?:p

...you're a glutton for punishment?...:p..:D just kidding..Hey - we should do one of those trading vacations -I live in sunny California with 100' summers!!! :eek: :p

Fireball 02-07-2012 07:04 PM

Most definitely it's the weather...I have whole body RSD and have watched for a couple of years now...anytime the barometer goes below 29 point whatever....I'm down for the count....doesn't have to rain....Barometer.....Then I'm turning on the heating pad as RSD is a bit more than an ache....Gravity is also an enemy....If I could live in a swimming pool....that would be most excellent ~!~
Quote:

Originally Posted by adelina (Post 849261)
You know how people say "Oh my knee is really bugging me - it's gonna rain!" - is there any truth to that? I woke up today to a good, strong rain (for sunny CA), which we havn't had in a while and my pn symptoms are a bit bizarre. I am much more achy all over (which is unusual - I am normally just sore in my arms unless fighting a virus), also my wrists are just shooting electricty constantly this morning which usually comes on only if I do a LOT of activity. My coordination is totally off in my arms and hands, and again this is usually somthing that normally is associated with activity. So I am just curious if the rain has anything to do with it....or maybe I am just fighting a virus - goodness knows with 4 children their always bring me home little gifts inthe form of a "bug":rolleyes: Any ideas?

adelina 02-07-2012 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fireball (Post 849361)
Most definitely it's the weather...I have whole body RSD and have watched for a couple of years now...anytime the barometer goes below 29 point whatever....I'm down for the count....doesn't have to rain....Barometer.....Then I'm turning on the heating pad as RSD is a bit more than an ache....Gravity is also an enemy....If I could live in a swimming pool....that would be most excellent ~!~

oooooww, yah - I have a friend with rsd and it is horrid! I am sorry you have to deal with it. And the gravity point is very intriguing.... During the summer I take my children to the creek behind our house to let them play. I have the full use of most of my body most of the time, but not my arms. But I have noticed that if I let my arms dangle in our creek I can wander around picking up rocks(small) and playing lightly in the water and it will actually alleviate some of my pain as the water supports my arms weight. Yah - if only we could live in the water - Interesting....:Ponder: So you have noticed the correlation is between the low baromter points and your pain - do you know why the low pressure does that to us :Scratch-Head: ??? What is the science behind it?

Also, for those who can answer/relate - does does anyone else feel particularly heavy where their pn effects them the most? My arms feel like sandbags.....:thud:

aussiemom 02-07-2012 09:31 PM

I have fibro, and PN, barometric changes get me too. I think when the air becomes heavier from the low, this exerts pressure on our bodies. "normals" don't notice it, but we do because all the nerves are so sensitive .