NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD and CRPS) (https://www.neurotalk.org/reflex-sympathetic-dystrophy-rsd-and-crps-/)
-   -   Please help. I don't understand my RSD. (https://www.neurotalk.org/reflex-sympathetic-dystrophy-rsd-and-crps-/169675-please-help-dont-understand-rsd.html)

sneakers 05-12-2012 11:31 PM

Please help. I don't understand my RSD.

I can tell it's spreading from my right arm to my left.

Is that possible? Can RSD "spread" or am I imagining it??

This afternoon I woke up and immediately noticed my right hand feels weak. I tried to write out a grocery list, but had a hard time gripping the pencil.

Is any of this normal for someone with RDS?

Thanks in advance.

terralyn 05-13-2012 01:01 AM

Yes... unfortunately it can spread anywhere it wants. Many people here can relate to your situation. I'm new here to. I suggest reading some past threads about red spreading. There are a lot here.

Try to remain calm as stressing out will only make it worse. :grouphug:

catra121 05-13-2012 06:33 AM

Without a doubt, RSD can spread. Whether or not what you are experiencing IS spread...that I can't answer. The areas where I experienced spread feel a little different than the initial site of the RSD...but I knew it was still RSD. One of the most important things to do with new areas of spread is to treat them aggressively ASAP. Good news is that you likely know all the traps this time around (like ice and immobilization) and you can avoid that stuff from the start. I've heard that many people who get blocks and treatments for their initial site (that don't work) get relief in the spread sites if they act quickly with the treatments. You should definitely get to your doctor as soon as possible to work on a treatment plan to address this new issue.

It is also possible that it is not RSD. I know that (especially in the begining) I threw so many other parts of my body out of whack and messed them up because I was compensating too much for my RSD limb. Some of those pains were intense but they were very different from the RSD pain.

Either way...you need to address the new pains. But time is definitely of the essence here because if it is RSD then you may have a chance to stop the spread if you treat it aggressively and quickly.

painman2009 05-13-2012 10:59 PM

spread oohh yeah.. it started in my right lower leg and foot now its below my belt line. every where. and is oddly worse on the left side. also it speed o my left arm, and previous surgical sites. I wish it wasn't so. problem with me is I'm on comp and they still won't accept additional sites for treatment. off to court i go...remeber this while you go through . you compromise your body to supplement your injury, it is possible it is fatigue and soarness from new usage. good luck

laurin800 05-14-2012 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sneakers (Post 878903)
I can tell it's spreading from my right arm to my left.

Is that possible? Can RSD "spread" or am I imagining it??

This afternoon I woke up and immediately noticed my right hand feels weak. I tried to write out a grocery list, but had a hard time gripping the pencil.

Is any of this normal for someone with RDS?

Thanks in advance.

I had a similar issue- What happened is the pain medication made me sleep so hard that I laid on my arm to long and made my hand go numb- NOT funny!! The Doc informed me of how many drunks actually kill nerves in their wrists by the same thing. It's not common- but very possible. My feeling came back 3 days later! The nurses there let me know just how lucky I was. Good luck!