NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Myasthenia Gravis (https://www.neurotalk.org/myasthenia-gravis/)
-   -   Ivig (https://www.neurotalk.org/myasthenia-gravis/89251-ivig.html)

BARBARA356 06-07-2009 05:25 PM

Ivig

I hope I spelled that right. Can you explain this procedure and is it expensive. I have Medicaid and I don't know if they will pay for that.

Joanmarie63 06-07-2009 05:43 PM

I honestly do not know. I do not take that but I do take another IV treatment for something else {I think it is about the same though} and I know it cost 70 thousand a year. Thank goodness I have awesome insurance through my husband through the military. Your Doctors office should be able to look and see if medicaid will pay. I wish you luck. :hug:

erinhermes 06-07-2009 05:54 PM

Hi Barbara! ;)!

Hi Barbara! IV IG is pooled plasma from 1000 donors. First they either insert your PICC line ( I highly recommend that one) or start your IV. Then they take your temp, blood pressure, etc and start the procedure. They start it out slow and increase it every 15 min until they reach the max....whatever your max is.

IV IG is very expensive - 10,000-15,000 per bottle, but insurance does take care of it if you have an aggressive neuro.....

I get mine done for 5 days in a row @ 500mL per bottle. It is a great pick me up!

Hope this helps a bit!
Big hugs!
Erin:D

Quote:

Originally Posted by BARBARA356 (Post 520484)
I hope I spelled that right. Can you explain this procedure and is it expensive. I have Medicaid and I don't know if they will pay for that.

erinhermes 06-07-2009 10:01 PM

Forgot something......

IV IG takes about 2-8 hours in all. Plasma exchange takes about an hour. Both of these times are only based on my experience!:D
IV IG can be done as an outpatient basis, whereas plasma exchange is done in the hosp only!

Hope this helps!

Erin:hug:

Pat 110 06-08-2009 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by erinhermes (Post 520565)
IV IG takes about 2-8 hours in all. Plasma exchange takes about an hour. Both of these times are only based on my experience!:D
IV IG can be done as an outpatient basis, whereas plasma exchange is done in the hosp only!

Hope this helps!

Erin:hug:

Hi Erin,

When I had the plasam exchanges in 02 I was able to go home after all of them. It may be because they used the viens in my arms and hands. The oncologist was going to put in a 'port' in as he called it on the last day because my viens were blowing left and right, but they managed to finish all 7 or 8 bottles in about two hours. When I had the thymectomy, the surgeon and nurses were furious that he hadn't put in a port and ruined so many viens. Even now when I go for blood work they have a hard time finding one and usually have to take it from my hand. What are you going do? They were the experts! Hope you're still feeling great!

Hugs,
Pat