NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Myasthenia Gravis (https://www.neurotalk.org/myasthenia-gravis/)
-   -   Massages (https://www.neurotalk.org/myasthenia-gravis/181860-massages.html)

bny806 01-03-2013 09:40 PM

Massages

Have any of yall gotten a massage since your MG started?? I haven't gotten one in years, but was thinking about it.. My muscles can be kind of tender at times, so i'm hoping its relaxing, and also i wasn't sure if someone else messing with my muscles would fatigue them? Weird question, I know, but just curious! My mind and poor body need a little R&R!

scrubbs 01-04-2013 11:20 AM

I was prescribed PT for arthritis in my neck. Neck and upper back massage was part of therapy. Once they got the amount of pressure right, it felt real good.

I should go back myself.

scrubbs

AnnieB3 01-04-2013 09:12 PM

I've found that targeted PT doesn't affect me too badly but a body massage, like shiatsu, does make my MG worse. Stimulating a muscle, no matter who does it - you or the masseuse - has the same ultimate effect, IMO.

I hope you'll talk to your neuro about the tenderness, for it might be a myopathy or something like a Vitamin D deficiency.

Annie

Kim12 01-05-2013 08:53 AM

I don't have any problems with massages.

southblues 01-05-2013 09:01 AM

I haven't tried a "store bought" massage, but I can occasionally talk my husband into one. It helps me.

bny806 01-05-2013 03:27 PM

thanks yall!

I ended up getting one.. and WOW.. it was like I had popcorn under my skin.. so many knots that I could hear them, it was crazy!!! I always feel a little uncomfortable in the muscles, but I guess maybe that is why!?!

My muscles seemed ok from it, but not as enjoyable as I used to remember it (last time I had one was over 4 years ago).

Annie - I have questioned myopathy from the get go too.. my ck levels are always below normal, needle emgs normal, and they even checked an adolase level which was normal.. I have wondered if I should have a muscle biopsy. Also the myopathies that I'm aware of dont' have ptosis.. except mitochondrial.. and since my symptoms improve so much with IVIG, I don't have that high on my list. I wonder if they are sore, just because i'm pushing them too much. who knows!?!?! but I don't think i'll make a habit out of getting a massage anytime soon! :)

sunflower1116 01-10-2013 06:34 PM

I try to get them regularly-more for my psyche- however sometimes I have a hard time feeling the masseuse and others my muscles are so relaxed I can't get off the table.

AnnieB3 01-10-2013 06:45 PM

bny, Sore muscles aren't always from a myopathy. They can be from MG. Or long-term steroid use. Lots of things. Talk to your primary doctor or neuro about it. A muscle biopsy may or may not show anything. Only you can decide if getting cut into, and the resulting "tattoo," is worth it.

Annie