NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Multiple Sclerosis (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/)
-   -   MS and Posture (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/44922-ms-posture.html)

Friend2U 05-03-2008 11:15 PM

MS and Posture

I have been noticing over that last several months that my posture is getting really poor. :( I'll catch myself being VERY slumped over and straighten myself back up. It's been happening so frequently, that I'm wondering if it is related to the MS. I used to have, not perfect, but pretty good posture, and feel that posture is important. I hate that I am losing it this way. I don't know what to do about it.

Does anyone know if this could be related to the ms? ...and what to do about it. Thanks!

Victor H 05-04-2008 12:21 AM

I am in the same boat, and always catch myself slumping down later in the day because of fatigue and the lack of exercise to strengthen the back muscles. It is time for a change.

I understand completely how you are feeling.

-Vic

AZjanie 05-04-2008 12:31 AM

It happened again! Every time I think I have something really unique going on others have it too.

I have noticed myself slumping like an old lady.

My chiro told me to keep trying to stand and sit up straight. He said "think military" shoulders back so I am trying to do that.

When I catch myself slouching I sit up straight again.

Victor H 05-04-2008 12:40 AM

It is such a strange thing that we deal with on a daily basis.

In the morning, when I am shaving, I catch myslef slumping a little. But by evening, when I shave again, the slumping is unreal. I mean it is almost to the point where I have to lean on the vanity just so that my hands don't hit the ground.

-Vic

lady_express_44 05-04-2008 01:03 AM

I have the same problem, and have to do back exercises to keep my muscles reasonably strong. The exercises my doctor gave me are in the following thread:

http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/sh...back+exercises

Cherie

Friend2U 05-04-2008 01:24 AM

Thank you all,

I too amazed that other people are going through all of these same issues. So I guess it is the MS? Causing weak muscles...or what???

Cherie,
Thanks for the exercises. I will try those. I was glad this took me back to that thread, as well. I had lost track of it. :) It's bad enough I'm losing my mind...must I lose everything else along with it??? :D
Thanks!

You are all great...once again, so sorry others have to experience these things...but if you must... I sure am glad I have you to share with!!!:cool:

MSCherokee 05-04-2008 06:28 AM

My posture's not good and gets worse as the day progresses. I'm so tired of hubby looking over and telling me to quit slouching at the computer. LOL

Cherie, I'm going over to your thread now. Thanks!

Kitty 05-04-2008 06:41 AM

I've noticed the same thing. When I sit up and hold my shoulders back I can breathe better and my back doesn't get stiff.

I've even bought a bra that is supposed to improve your posture. It's got more support in the back area. Can't really tell that it's helping any - but it does make it harder for me to "slump" when I sit.

AfterMyNap 05-04-2008 08:31 AM

Yep, me too. I just started using a stepper and I love it because it makes me stretch my back out. I hadn't realized how slumped I had become. I also have trouble sucking in my gut for any length of time. Thanks for bringing this up!

Friend2U 05-04-2008 08:50 AM

Cindy,

Quote:

Originally Posted by AfterMyNap (Post 272405)
Yep, me too. I just started using a stepper and I love it because it makes me stretch my back out. I hadn't realized how slumped I had become. I also have trouble sucking in my gut for any length of time. Thanks for bringing this up!

What is a stepper?
Thanks.:)