NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Multiple Sclerosis (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/)
-   -   Getting Second Opinions on MS diagnosis (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/31182-getting-opinions-ms-diagnosis.html)

debw 10-30-2007 09:19 PM

Getting Second Opinions on MS diagnosis

Hi,
I am in need of somebody to talk to about my recent MRI. My MRI sent to the neurologist, which he said my MRI was over read, And I don't have the slightest bit of MS. I was really convinced, since I have fallen four times in last year and have trouble walking. The MRI said I have multiple hyperintensities in the white matter especially in the periventricular area. I don't know what to do? Deb

katty 10-30-2007 11:25 PM

Hi Deb,

You need to get your films and go see a different Neurologist. Get a secod opinion. Make sure you get a bunch of differentials done by your regular GP. You should have them check for vitamin B deficiency, Lymes, thyroid, lupus, reumatoids, and anything else that can cause your symptoms. Even if the MRI results are determined to be lesions, they can be caused by things other than MS.

Also, I had MS symptoms for three years before my lesions showed up on MRI. A clean MRI is not conclusive. It just means you may have to wait until it gets bad enough to see.

Hope this helps.

Katty

karilann 10-31-2007 10:31 AM

Second Opinion

Absolutely.....get your films and get a second opinion and have them really explain the MRI to you:hug:

AfterMyNap 10-31-2007 10:55 AM

Agreed, and just tell the new neuro that you want to rule out MS, they'll decide how to do it.

Hope you get some answers, we all know how frustrating this is!:mad:

SallyC 10-31-2007 11:37 AM

Yes, what the other said, Deb. Make sure someone with expertice reads your MRI.

Sending Hugs,

postmaster1992 11-01-2007 03:44 PM

second and third and fourth opinion too

Hi everyone, I'm new here.....?:confused:
Anyway, if I can actually think enought to make a point, I had a MRI done in 04...possible MS....that is what first neuro said... the next year second neuro said it was a perfect MRI???? 8 months after that a neuroimmunilogist fellow said 10 "white spots" in the frontal lobes, he also found my cervical stenosis...on a new MRI so stopped looking and sent me to neurosurgeon. 4th neuro said MRI was not normal, defanitely "white spots"....and since it has been almost 4 years now, we should do another one this time with contrast.
So now I go on the 10th of this month to have this new MRI done. I am feeling progressively worse, things are a twitching, tingling, burning and I am very un graceful and I too have fallen several times with in the past year, and several close calls.
Good luck to you, don't give up on finding out what is going on.
Geri

SallyC 11-01-2007 03:57 PM

Hi Geri :Wave-Hello: and Welcome to you.:)

I know how frustrating it must be for you poor guys sitting and waiting (not so patiently) while the powers that be make up their darn minds.

I hope this MRI shows a deffinative answer to your awful symptoms. I hope it's not MS, but then, there are worse things.

Let us know how it goes, OK? Fingers crossed for you both.

:grouphug:

postmaster1992 11-05-2007 03:25 PM

ms second opinion

Hi Sally and thank you. I had my creatine test on Sun morning to get ready for the MSI with contrast this Sat.
I'm anxious to see what is up there, you know what I mean.
Anyway have a wonderful day, in mid Illinois it is sunny and very windy.
Geri