NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   New Member Introductions (https://www.neurotalk.org/new-member-introductions/)
-   -   Need your prayers and support (https://www.neurotalk.org/new-member-introductions/32994-prayers-support.html)

rsethi 11-29-2007 03:27 PM

Need your prayers and support

Hello everyone,
I am new here and am looking for your help.
I am 19 weeks pregnant and recieved the heartbreaking news yesterday, that my AFP tests show that there is a 1 in 71 chance (high risk) of me having a baby with Downs Syndrome.
These tests are often wrong, but the only sure way after this is amniocentosis which has a risk of losing the baby altogether (miscarriage).
I do believe that prayers can do miracles. Please pray that my results are false and the baby I am carrying is fine and healthy. I really need your prayers, as I cannot share this with anyone right now.
I am so scared. I am at work, but cannot get any work done. I don't even want to look at my friends since I am sure to break down and start crying at the office. If I tell my mom, she will be even more worried than me for the next 5 months.
Waiting for your heartfelt prayers - anxious mom.

LIZARD 11-29-2007 07:17 PM

((((((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))))))).

Let me assure you that 1) AFP is notorious for being wrong; 2) 1 in 71 isn't as high as it sounds; and 3) numbers don't mean anything, really. I had a 1 in 500-750 chance of being born with hydrocephalus. Yep. Of kids with hydro, I had a 1 in 7 chance of epilepsy. Uh-huh. I had about a 5-10% chance of starting puberty before 10 yo. Check. I had about a 1 in 2,000 or so (at the time) chance of having a child dx'd with autism. Check.

However...I also had about a 3% chance at birth (in the '60s) of living normally enough to fool most people into beliving my brain was "normal." Hmmm...done that, too! :) Numbers can work for you as well as against you. :)

Good luck...

LIZARD :)

BCE2 11-29-2007 07:23 PM

Prayers DO work

Hi:

I certainly believe in prayers and miracles. My sister-in-law's brother
and his wife were told that their baby may be born with Trisomy 18
syndrome. They were devastated, but went to another doc for a
second opinion (the first seemed to strongly suggest termination without
even explaining the issue--NOT a very caring doctor at all).

They have a darling baby girl who is now 9 months old and seems
very healthy and is developing normally.

I hope you can discuss this extensively with a sympathetic doctor and
get the information you need. Amniocentesis has some risk, but this is
another issue to discuss with your doc--it may be that the risk is
outweighed by the need to know. Lots of my friends had amnio and
their babies are fine (and totally adorable).

I hope you can reconsider telling your Mom. I bet she would want to
know and be praying with you.

Hugs & lots of prayers,
Kat

shiney sue 11-29-2007 09:30 PM

you

are in my heart and prayers,I wish i was there to hug,please if you
were my daughter,I would want you to talk to me..Think about it
and think positive... Sue

Darlene 11-30-2007 02:48 AM

Hello and welcome to NeuroTalk. Great to see you have come to be with us. You will find a great number of caring, supporting members here willing to help each other as they can.

I will agree with Sue, mothers are always wanting to be with their girls at a time like this. If I was yoor mother I would want to be standing next to. I my self with moy daughter went through a peroid of pacing for my first grand-daugher and she came into the world fine. At this time she is 13 and no health problems.

My prayers are with you. Please keep us undated.

Again welcome, looking forward to seeing you around.

Darlene
:hug:

DM 11-30-2007 08:36 AM

Hi! I am so sorry for all the stress and fear you are going through right now. I think the power of prayer is amazing. You and your wee one are in my prayers and please do keep us posted.

Glad you found us. You can come here and unload your worries and know that we care. take care of yourself...:welcome_sign:

AfterMyNap 11-30-2007 01:50 PM

Hi, rsethi! :Wave-Hello: Welcome to NeuroTalk!

Dmom3005 12-01-2007 08:31 PM

Hi, you have my prayers. And you also have my wish that you share this news with those that can help you.

Also please don't despair of this news. Babies that can or are born with down syndrome are very productive people. So even if it should happen,
you can do this.

I would say that you can do and be anything you chose to be.

Donna