NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Multiple Sclerosis (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/)
-   -   Amantadine for MS fatigue (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/122440-amantadine-ms-fatigue.html)

Friend2U 05-19-2010 12:51 AM

Amantadine for MS fatigue

I was subscribed Amantadine (generic for Symmetrel) from my neuro today. I'm wondering if someone has been on this and could answer a question...

When I filled the script, I see that I am taking 100mg twice a day. So I'm wondering when during the day to take them. I assume one will be first thing in the morning...but what about the second one. I would think If I wait too long it might interfere withs sleep, which is another issue we are working on.

I know I can call the dr office or pharmacy tomorrow...just wondering if someone here knows....thanks! :hug:

Kitty 05-19-2010 06:20 AM

I took this med briefly.....but it didn't work as well as Provigil did for me. I can't remember what dosage I took but if you have to break up the dose I'd take one first thing in the morning and the other around noon (unless your doctor tells you differently). I'd be afraid that a late dose would keep me up at night.

Good luck! :hug:

legzzalot 05-19-2010 06:28 AM

this is the one I Am for some reason provogil knocked me out. I haven't seen a big increase since starting this one either.

BUT, I take mine twice a day as well. One first thing in the morning and another at lunchtime.

AfterMyNap 05-19-2010 07:15 AM

I took it for a couple years a long time ago and it didn't do much for me except give me FANTASTIC dreams at night (fortunately, I'm not prone to nightmares).

I went to Provigil which works a thousand times better for me. I cut the pills because I find that the smaller dose more often works best for me.

kicker 05-19-2010 07:16 AM

I have a theory- Ritalin (a stimulant) is given to hyperactive children to bring them "down" - as stimulants have an adverse (opposite) effect on hyperactivity. Provigil made me sleepy. Talked to my GCP and when I asked if she thought I was a little hyper, she said "Like yes". In a good way I am - attention to details, doing stuff like Elementary School Science Night, etc. I take Amantadine 2x a day. Thought it wasn't working until I missed a dose and saw I go from dead to only 1/2 dead on it. I take one in morning, eat lunch, then around 1 nap until 3 (sleep important to me), Take second 3ish after nap and my nighttime sleep (10 until 6:30 ) not effected, but that's me. I take Oxybutin at bedtime and no long use bathroom until morning (hooray!!!). I am very regular in my sleep habits, finding a regular routine serves me best. I do not allow cats to sleep with me anymore, their movements, etc. wake me (DH does too, but he's staying). I sleep in darkness and good temperature. If I'm cold or hot, I wake up. Good luck finding your best rhythm!

FinLady 05-19-2010 07:55 AM

The best advice is to take one in the morning and one around lunch time.

I took this but it didn't help me, but know others who do well on it.

Friend2U 05-19-2010 08:34 AM

Thanks all!

I will try one first thing and second at noon. I appreciate the guidance!

My neuro wanted to start me out on this, said it was the simplist. then if it didn't help let hiim know and we would try something else. Maybe i will be lucky and do well on it I hope!!

Thanks a bunch everyone! :grouphug:

barb02 05-19-2010 08:36 AM

I also tried this, but it did not seem to help. It did however cause major constipation:o.

wkikta 05-19-2010 09:56 AM

I was on Amantadine for a few years. One at breakfast, second at lunch. It did work very well for me, just made me less fatigued. Now I am on Provigil, 100 mg at breakfast, another at lunch. It works much better. Insurance does not like to pay for the Provigil, that is why your Doctor started you on the Amantadine. If it isn't enough it is much easier to get the Provigil approved.

Friend2U 05-19-2010 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wkikta (Post 656160)
I was on Amantadine for a few years. One at breakfast, second at lunch. It did work very well for me, just made me less fatigued. Now I am on Provigil, 100 mg at breakfast, another at lunch. It works much better. Insurance does not like to pay for the Provigil, that is why your Doctor started you on the Amantadine. If it isn't enough it is much easier to get the Provigil approved.

That makes a lot of sense. And we are all different. What works for one may not work for someone else. I'm keeping my fingers crossed on this one. :)