NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   New Member Introductions (https://www.neurotalk.org/new-member-introductions/)
-   -   Me and My TBI (https://www.neurotalk.org/new-member-introductions/201673-tbi.html)

Peter_the_Gr8 03-03-2014 09:29 PM

Me and My TBI

I was driving to work on 12/30/2013 and hit black ice, my truck spun and I crashed into a tree (on the passenger's side, thankfully.) I have no memory of this drive or the crash or anything for the next several days. I was diagnosed with a Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) and a Diffuse Axonal Injury to my brain. TBI is more commonly known as a grade 3 concussion - grade 3 means the person lost consciousness for some period time; from mere seconds to being in a coma. I was not, thankfully, in a coma.

I was in hospital for 12 days and came home to recover. I am told it takes a long time and, since each person is different, there is no real knowing of how long it will take to get back to 100% (and no guarantee that 100% is achievable but that is my goal.)

This past Friday was 2 months since my accident and I feel I have made huge strides in recovery but each day teaches me that I still have a long way to go. The biggest issues for me now are my vision , fatigue, and cognitive ability. The crash knocked my eyes around a bit and I have double vision. I wear special tape on my left lens of my glasses and that allows me to see only one image but it is a huge distraction and he biggest reminder that I'm still suffering the effect of the accident. The neuro-ophthalmologist basically said, "Be happy you survived, let it heal, come back in 3 months." That was not what I wanted to hear but it has taught me patience which I never had much of. The fatigue is something less tangible. Little things tire me out - less now than in the beginning but it is still an issue. I try to take a nap around midday every day - even if I just lay down and don't sleep. That lasts about 30 mins now whereas it used to be 1-2 hours. I also used to sleep 10-12 hours a night, now I'm pretty standard at 8 hours.

My brain is much better 2 months after the accident. I work twice a week with a Cognitive Therapist (and a Physical Therapist) with tasks to retrain my brain how to act close to normal. Short term memory was a huge issue for me at the beginning but I feel as if it has improved 3000%. The biggest concern there is that over tasking my mind could slow the healing process or lead to more fatigue. The last thing I want to do is slow my progress or hurt my long term recovery.

I'm not driving due to my injury and because my pickup truck has been crushed into a cube somewhere. I have some great retired friends who drive me to all my weekday appointments so My wife can focus on being a teacher. I haven't mentioned my wife of 12 years because there is too much to say. I knew I was lucky to have her before but to see it proven so tangibly is amazing. She is my rock.

I know that I'm lucky to be alive. That being said, the recovery sucks and is testing me in ways I never conceived of. I'm lucky to have my wife, my family and great friends.