NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Thoracic Outlet Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/thoracic-outlet-syndrome/)
-   -   Seatbelts and brooms. (https://www.neurotalk.org/thoracic-outlet-syndrome/18073-seatbelts-brooms.html)

dreambeliever128 04-22-2007 02:07 PM

Seatbelts and brooms.

First off, I wanted to ask about seatbelts. How do you guys stand them. Right now I can't wear them due to the surgery I had on my neck to put the wires in for the VNS but I have never been able to wear them too good with the TOS. I hate them. I know, I know they say lives. They drive me nuts doing it.

Now for brooms. As most of you know I haven't had TOS surgery on the left side for the actual TOS. I had 3 inches of muscle taken out from under my arm for the chest pain.

I was out on the patio sweeping and the way I twist and turn, I got my ribs going on my left side. I'm going to try and get them calmed down, it's been a long time since I've done that. My ribs feel like they move and I have trouble breathing. Do any of you feel like your ribs move?

Thanks,
Ada

astern 04-22-2007 03:25 PM

major pain

Hi Ada! :hug:

I hate my seatbelt too. I have it adjusted as much as I can to not be too close to my neck, but the slightest pressure from the chest-belt is annoying as heck. They do make things that wrap around the belt near your neck and over shoulder that are made of lamb fleece. Sometimes they're cute stuffed-animal looking things. Not sure where to buy one though. Any ideas out there?

My more immediate worry is the airbag system. I live in fear that I may bump something slightly and the bag could go off. It's illegal to remove the air bag. Not even a DR's note can waive the law. It's hard to find a functioning, reliable late-model car. The laws are crazy. I don't want to think about what an airbag impact would do to me, much less think about the local failing health system trying to make heads or tails of my condition. :holysheep:

Sweeping: sometimes it feels like my ribs 'flex', but move? gee I hope not! :eek: The lightest weight broom I could find is an OXO brand. Very easy to use in the kitchen. But any other surface type makes pushing the lightest of brooms painful in a very short time.

After your ribs calm down, you can try sweeping in shorter bursts? Or not sweep at all. Hope your broom is light-weight!

((((((HUGS)))))
Anne

Jomar 04-22-2007 04:03 PM

I thought you can lock out the airbaG FOR A CHILD SEAT on the passenger side{ sorry hit caps gggrr} so why not for a driver side one?
I didn't know there was a law about that- it seems there should be some room for health issues and considerations.

You might be able to have the bag disabled by a self taught mechanic- as long as you don't sell the car without it functioning.??
Or have the steering wheel changed to a non -airbag one?
that might be a better option

You should be able to get a medical waiver for the seatbelt use though- my aunt had one of those.

sweeping - I get a pain in my sacroiliac?? or sciatic -sometimes even with a light broom. it is the twisting and push/pull movement because I can sweep straight in front of me with the big wide shop broom - no problem

olecyn 04-23-2007 11:54 AM

Seat Belts

Ouchy,
Comfort is hard to find being a driver or a passender.
This is something I'm always trying new things with.

The best thing FOR ME is:
A cervical pillow behind my neck (Bed Bath & Beyond) and a pillow or blanket under the seatbelt as not to press on the brachial plexus.
I use this technique for driving and as a passenger.
If anyone rear ends me I don't want more cervical pain and the seat belt crushing my thoracic area.

Dr. Agnew has also perscribed a 20" McKenzie Cervical roll pillow and place it vertically when sitting.
It rises up your posture when sitting.

As a passenger I do the same but with a pillow under my right arm.
Lots of stops to get my flexibility and circulation going.
Most of the time a small dose of pain meds as not to impair my driving to relax my muscles.