NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Myasthenia Gravis (https://www.neurotalk.org/myasthenia-gravis/)
-   -   mouth sores (https://www.neurotalk.org/myasthenia-gravis/102347-mouth-sores.html)

Katrina 09-05-2009 12:11 AM

mouth sores

Does anyone have a problem with mouth sores? I was told I was getting them due to prednisone and imuran but every time I think they are going away I feel another. My dentist told me to try peroxide and water rinses YUCK. Any suggestions Thanks

Joanmarie63 09-05-2009 08:21 AM

Sorry, as I don't get them often, one every now and then I just rince with scope and brush often. I know what your Dr reccomended may not taste good but try it anyway, if it helps than it will be worth the nasty taste. Good Luck :)

mrsD 09-05-2009 02:57 PM

There are two brands of oral rinse with peroxide in them:

Orajel
Peroxyl

Both taste okay IMO.

You can also buy GlyOxide which is a thick syrup type peroxide.
It stays on the sore longer.

If you do rinse with a peroxide product, do not eat or drink for at least 1/2 hr after, so it won't be washed off.

The oral mucosa regenerates every 24 hrs. If the sores are kept clean, they will heal up faster.

Make sure you have enough Vit C in your diet. And zinc. Low zinc will make sores slower healing.

erinhermes 09-05-2009 06:00 PM

Hi Katrina!

Hello and welcome to Neurotalk! You are going to LOVE it here! I also have a lot of sores due to pred and cellcept - both inside and outside my mouth - for the inside I take Nystatin and for the inside I use Valtrex........

Hope this helps and that you are feeling strong and happy!

Take care!
ERin Hermes:hug:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Katrina (Post 563098)
Does anyone have a problem with mouth sores? I was told I was getting them due to prednisone and imuran but every time I think they are going away I feel another. My dentist told me to try peroxide and water rinses YUCK. Any suggestions Thanks

leaningin 09-08-2009 10:28 AM

Mouth Sores

Quote:

Originally Posted by Katrina (Post 563098)

I am also on prednisone and imuran and getting mouth sores. Boy do they hurt! Even drinking water hurts. My doctor gave me lidocane that I can put on the sore with a Q-tip. It numbs it for awhile but tastes awful.

Pat 110 09-08-2009 01:57 PM

Hi Katrina,

Welcome to the group! I had them years ago and a peroxide rinse did the trick. Hope it works for you too. Take care.;)

Hugs,
Pat

Katrina 09-08-2009 10:23 PM

Thank you all for your suggestions I have done the peroxide and water and also bought some Lysin vitamins.