NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Chronic Pain (https://www.neurotalk.org/chronic-pain/)
-   -   Medtronic Pain Stimulator implant (https://www.neurotalk.org/chronic-pain/150399-medtronic-pain-stimulator-implant.html)

PABirdlover 05-17-2011 05:30 PM

Medtronic Pain Stimulator implant

I had a Medtronic Pain Stimulator implanted in February. Since then, I have had a great deal of problems, and was wondering if anyone else has? My Knees hurt, my feet are swallen and hurt horribly. My hands are swallen and hurt. The stimulator does not work, in fact, it makes me very ill to be turned on. The pain is worse since the implantation. The representative is very arrogant, and has no intention on assisting without making rolled eyes, and comments; one comment that hurts the most is (after I have been told differently) the temporary stimulator is not the same as the permanent stimulator. I was told prior to having this implanted, if the temp works 100%, the permanent will work as well. Once I had the temp stimulator implanted, I was so excited, because of the fact it did work 100%. I can say now, I wish I would never have listened to the few that said it would work. Because now Medtronics backtracks their statements, and indicates it is not the same, and the fact I am in 100% more pain since prior to the implant. Is anyone able to help me? I am in severe pain, and severe depression over this. My meds are doubled, and the one reason for choosing the permanent stimulator was to get off the meds. Thank you.

Leesa 05-20-2011 12:02 PM

Hi ~ I'm so sorry you're having so much trouble. I had the MedTronic also back in 2000. I had it implanted for 6 months. One thing you must remember is that it works best for NERVE PAIN and not very good for mechanical pain. I had mine implanted due to sciatica, and I THOUGHT it would work well. After it was implanted, I found that it made the sciatica worse. I had the Medtronic representative reprogram the unit MANY times, but that didn't help. I kept trying the SCS but nothing helped. Then to my surprise, the unit tried to work itself OUT of me. :eek: It seems I didn't have enough "fat content" in my body to hold the SCS in. So I had to have it removed. I really wasn't sorry.

Your representative SHOULD be reprogramming your unit for you until he finds where it works best for you. If he isn't performing his job, I would CALL MedTronic and tell them what is happening. Ask them to send another representative if this one is being disrespectful. He shouldn't be "rolling his eyes" at you and acting like a jerk!!! Complain to MedTronic!! I sure would. Afterall, they are working for YOU.

Best of luck and please keep us posted on your progress. Sending prayers your way. God bless. Hugs, Lee

stimhelp 08-28-2011 08:45 PM

I had the same problem

I had the same problem and my neuro surgeon replaced the medtronic with a boston scientific battery. I was very surprised it felt better and i felt it in my back and legs. Also it was easier to charge and the remote was wireless so i didnt have to reach around my back when i wanted to change the setting, turn it up or down. Also the reps were a lot nicer and really cared!! I am really not sure why my 1st doctor didnt offer boston. i had to go through 3 surgeries to get the right one. Make sure your doctor gives you the options and make sure you use boston scientific!!!

hskers33 09-24-2011 04:09 AM

Hi PABirdLover,

I am in a similar situation as you and am curious if it has been suggested to you to change to a different provider? It was recommended to me to change from my Medtronic unit because it is not recommended for CRPS like the Boston Scientific. I am trying to confirm or deny this statement before making any rash decisions.

hskers33 09-24-2011 04:11 AM

Boston Scientific vs Medtronic?

Quote:

Originally Posted by stimhelp (Post 800119)
I had the same problem and my neuro surgeon replaced the medtronic with a boston scientific battery. I was very surprised it felt better and i felt it in my back and legs.

I am curious for the reason to change from Medtronic to Boston Scientific? Did you find that Medtronic was not for your specific condition?

Thanks!

Saffy 10-10-2011 09:36 AM

http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/forum118.html

Please pop on here .. it's our little corner of Neutotalk dedicated to those who have Stimulators and pain pumps.

Rrae 10-10-2011 11:05 AM

Thanks Saffy!

Yes, there are a lot of testimonies over on the forum Saffy provided.
The SCS/PP forum is listed as a sub-forum in the 'Medications & Treatments' section

Note the section called the 'Sticky's' at the top of the page - pretty good info there.

Rae
:hug:

bellanapli 10-19-2011 05:05 PM

hello- sorrry you are suffering

Quote:

Originally Posted by PABirdlover (Post 771332)
I had a Medtronic Pain Stimulator implanted in February. Since then, I have had a great deal of problems, and was wondering if anyone else has? My Knees hurt, my feet are swallen and hurt horribly. My hands are swallen and hurt. The stimulator does not work, in fact, it makes me very ill to be turned on. The pain is worse since the implantation. The representative is very arrogant, and has no intention on assisting without making rolled eyes, and comments; one comment that hurts the most is (after I have been told differently) the temporary stimulator is not the same as the permanent stimulator. I was told prior to having this implanted, if the temp works 100%, the permanent will work as well. Once I had the temp stimulator implanted, I was so excited, because of the fact it did work 100%. I can say now, I wish I would never have listened to the few that said it would work. Because now Medtronics backtracks their statements, and indicates it is not the same, and the fact I am in 100% more pain since prior to the implant. Is anyone able to help me? I am in severe pain, and severe depression over this. My meds are doubled, and the one reason for choosing the permanent stimulator was to get off the meds. Thank you.

I would get a Supervisor from Medtronics and a second opinion medically and with Medtronic- each area(even a few miles apart) have their own opinions,the Doc's, Reps. etc..It's so demoralizing when a medical person sneers at you etc..Remember they aren't in PAIN and never have been!!!Good Luck

bohemian 11-14-2011 12:57 PM

Medtronics Stimulator implant

I too have had a medtronic pain stimulator implant and I am very dis-satisified with it. The trial was wonderful! but now after a month, I am now having muscle spasms and pains I never had before. I am now on pain medication just to withstand the pain so I can sleep, sit or walk. I do not have a problem getting medtronics to come and reset it (but now I don't want to use it), I can't get my advising doctor to help me. They should let those with bad results post their findings before implanting one of these. I had to go the ER room the other night and now I am missing work. This is all bs. I am about ready to sue medtronics.

vs stimulator implant
Quote:

ads2009 01-17-2012 11:11 PM

spinal cord stimulation problems

Quote:

I had the stimulation implant on 12/29/11, and had nothing but problems every since. I need advice on what to do, where to go or how to get help! Because no one seems to what to help. None of the the folks that helped me get the implant are communicating with me on any of my problems. For i have been on *** site and found many that have similar problems that i have. Yet no one has an answer on how to solve my pain. Even with those that has had it removed are still in cronic pain.