NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   New Member Introductions (https://www.neurotalk.org/new-member-introductions/)
-   -   post- concussion syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/new-member-introductions/204129-post-concussion-syndrome.html)

sukisu 05-05-2014 11:12 PM

post- concussion syndrome

Hi. Ordinarily I would be researching my essential tremor, but I suffered a concussion on April 2, with no bleed as per cat scan but pretty intense post concussion syndrome. I was being good and feeling much better when I had a car accident on May 1. I didn't hit my head but seemed so dazed that I was taken in neck brace and back board to the ER where cat scans showed no bleed and I was released.
My worry is that my headaches have come back, along with dizziness, nausea, shortness of breath, sensitivity to light and noise and extreme fatigue. My neurologist can't see me for another 2 weeks but I don't know if I just reaggravated the first concussion ( I was out cold for 30 seconds) or if something worse is going on. Can't drive. Can only spend short periods reading or on computer, and am very off balance. Should I see someone sooner? Wait for my regular neurologist? Any advice would be much appreciated! !

Jomar 05-05-2014 11:31 PM

Welcome,
Feel free to copy your message to our TBI/PCS forum- they will be able to help you with some ideas.
http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/forum92.html

Darlene 05-06-2014 02:57 AM

Great to meet you!!

sukisu,

:Wave-Hello:It is great to have you come and be with us. You will fine a great number of dear friends to listen when you are in need of ears. Please, just let us know how we can help you out. You will find out we are supportive and relaxing place. I see you have found the PT forum which is the forum where you will assistances with your questions.

Please keep us up to date on your situation. Again welcome, looking forward to seeing you around. My thoughts and prayers are with you. :smileypray:

Darlene :hug:

berkeleybrain 05-06-2014 03:18 AM

Rest! Rest! REst!

There is a great vitamin thread- on the pcs/mtbi board. lots of fish oil works. Brain food: avocado, bananas, almonds, coconut milk (avoid alcohol, coffee, sugar, etc).

Try to resist screen, bright lights, computer time.

It really is time to sleep if you can, take pain meds to relax, ice the neck and try to relax. I saw a primary doctor first (initial pain meds), then had to wait to see neurologist (almost 4 weeks!)-(more specialized migraine pain meds).

You should track how you are feeling and your symptoms with a diary (vertigo, nausea, dizziness, etc.) to help the neurologist identify what is triggering your pcs. I had problems with vision and had to see a neuro-opthalmologist.

Best of luck to you!

Hockey 05-06-2014 06:03 AM

I'm sorry you're feeling so ill.

Your symptoms are familiar to the rest of us in the brain boo boo crowd.

As you know, one doesn't have to hit one's head against an external object to sustain a brain injury.

Car accident whiplash is a common cause of TBI. The brain moves around violently, shaving off tiny, precious axons where it slams into your skull. The area behind the eyes is particularly sharp and pointy. Sadly, that is also the area that comes into contact with the part of the brain that controls Executive function.

That you've had two concussions, in quick succession, and lost consciousness, is not good. The fact that the MRI didn't see blood, does not mean you're fine. Conventional MRIs are not sensitive enough to image brain injury properly. A neuro-psych exam is a better indicator.

For now, it is critical that you REST. Avoid physical and mental stimulation. Try to eat properly and stay away from coffee and alcohol.

My best to you.