NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Sanctuary for Spiritual Support (https://www.neurotalk.org/sanctuary-for-spiritual-support/)
-   -   neck surgery Thursday... (https://www.neurotalk.org/sanctuary-for-spiritual-support/193054-neck-surgery-thursday.html)

scooterchickie 08-20-2013 03:10 PM

neck surgery Thursday...

Hi, I'm new to the community... Found neurotalk on a Google search.
I was looking up complications concerning my upcoming anterior and posterior fusion of c3-7 using rods and screws. Needless to say I'm freaking out :( My name is Rachel and I'm here on the spirituality thread because this upcoming surgery (and the pain associated) is draining my energy. To everyone close around me I am strong and confident but my insides are shaking in fear. I'm scared. Please keep me in your thoughts and prayers this week. I also have bipolar illness and anxiety disorder.... Thankfully my medication is working well right now. I have to get this surgery to try to reverse the damage that has already been done to my spinal cord, and I think that I chose a great surgeon... So I feel confident in his abilities... Its just the what if`s. Thanks for reading my post and please don't hesitate to share thoughts, feelings, quotes, anything.... I need gazoodles of strength spiritually, physically, emotionally, and mentally.
-rachel

ginnie 08-20-2013 04:43 PM

Dear scoooterchickie

I came to NT for the same reason. Believe me I was freaking out too. I cried, wailed, and ultimately found support here. I had the EXACT same surgery. I am fused C3-7. I had reversed the curve of my spine. My surgery turned out OK. I want you to know that right away. There are positive outcomes from this kind of surgery. If you have had the two opinions, and this was decided on, GO for it. Pain is going to be a bit of an issue after this surgery. It is a big surgery. Do not leave the hospital on the second day, even if they want you to. I stayed an extra day as my pain wasn't in contol.
Do you have help at home? You are going to want soft foods, ready made. Wet adult wash cloths will help you to feel clean until you feel like showering. The first two weeks are kinda rough. After that you will begin to get better every single day. Hang in there. The pain you are going through right now, will have an end, and so will the surgical pain. If there is anything you need to know, please feel free to ask me. Ask your doctor ahead of time, what meds. he is sending you home with. I had muscle spasms from He__. I was given Soma, which was wonderful in combination with the narcotic. It helped my pain more than the narcotic.
You will be in my thoughts and prayers, I really do have a list. You are going to get over this and get better. Range of motion will be fine, and just a little limited with looking up and down. Have to be careful with that.
Be good to yourself while you heal. I will be thinking of you. ginnie:hug::grouphug:

scooterchickie 08-20-2013 10:08 PM

thank you soooo much!

Quote:

Originally Posted by ginnie (Post 1008648)
I came to NT for the same reason. Believe me I was freaking out too. I cried, wailed, and ultimately found support here. I had the EXACT same surgery. I am fused C3-7. I had reversed the curve of my spine. My surgery turned out OK. I want you to know that right away. There are positive outcomes from this kind of surgery. If you have had the two opinions, and this was decided on, GO for it. Pain is going to be a bit of an issue after this surgery. It is a big surgery. Do not leave the hospital on the second day, even if they want you to. I stayed an extra day as my pain wasn't in contol.
Do you have help at home? You are going to want soft foods, ready made. Wet adult wash cloths will help you to feel clean until you feel like showering. The first two weeks are kinda rough. After that you will begin to get better every single day. Hang in there. The pain you are going through right now, will have an end, and so will the surgical pain. If there is anything you need to know, please feel free to ask me. Ask your doctor ahead of time, what meds. he is sending you home with. I had muscle spasms from He__. I was given Soma, which was wonderful in combination with the narcotic. It helped my pain more than the narcotic.
You will be in my thoughts and prayers, I really do have a list. You are going to get over this and get better. Range of motion will be fine, and just a little limited with looking up and down. Have to be careful with that.

Be good to yourself while you heal. I will be thinking of you. ginnie:hug::grouphug:

Ginnie, thanks for encouraging words :) and taking the time to share.
Thankfully, I have an awesome pain management doc, and my fiance will be w me throughout my hospital stay (estimated 3 days) and then for much of my recovery.

I was not aware about the dietary changes but it makes sense. And, I was wondering about the range of motion... Interesting... Adaptation is the key I suppose. Lol

Thank you for keeping me in your thoughts, Ginnie and all those who read my post.

Feeling peaceful, gentle strength,
Rachel

Darlene 08-21-2013 12:49 AM

Nice to meet you!!

Rachel,

:Wave-Hello: It is great to have you come and be with us. You will fine a great number of dear friends to listen when you are in need of ears. Please, just let us know how we can help you out. You will find out we are supportive and relaxing place.

Please keep us up to date on your situation. Again welcome, looking forward to seeing you around. My thoughts and prayers are with you. :smileypray:

anneo59 08-21-2013 08:51 AM

Rachel

God bless and keep you, Rachel. Prayers and good thoughts your way for speedy recovery. Glad you're on NT. Am new here also. Take care!:hug:

Quote:

Originally Posted by scooterchickie (Post 1008618)
I was looking up complications concerning my upcoming anterior and posterior fusion of c3-7 using rods and screws. Needless to say I'm freaking out :( My name is Rachel and I'm here on the spirituality thread because this upcoming surgery (and the pain associated) is draining my energy. To everyone close around me I am strong and confident but my insides are shaking in fear. I'm scared. Please keep me in your thoughts and prayers this week. I also have bipolar illness and anxiety disorder.... Thankfully my medication is working well right now. I have to get this surgery to try to reverse the damage that has already been done to my spinal cord, and I think that I chose a great surgeon... So I feel confident in his abilities... Its just the what if`s. Thanks for reading my post and please don't hesitate to share thoughts, feelings, quotes, anything.... I need gazoodles of strength spiritually, physically, emotionally, and mentally.
-rachel

ginnie 08-21-2013 04:19 PM

Hi Rachel

I will be thinking about you. I am glad you have help at home. You can also ask for pre-surgery medication if you are really nervous. They usually do that for you when you have your IV started. All will be well. I look forward to hearing from you when you feel better. I won't forget to pray. ginnie:hug:

Blossom25 08-22-2013 12:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scooterchickie (Post 1008618)
-rachel

Rachell I have had this surgery. I was up and walking around as soon as they got me back to my room. I was so shocked of how little pain I had. I had the surgery from the front of my neck. I'll pray for you Rachell and for the Staff that will be working on you. You are going to be just fine. God will watch over you and guide the Dr.'s hands and mind. Take a deep breath and breath in the peace that God will give you. Keep in touch. Blossom