NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/)
-   -   Any tips on dealing with PCS nausea? (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/148678-tips-dealing-pcs-nausea.html)

JaneLdn 04-18-2011 04:11 AM

Any tips on dealing with PCS nausea?

Hi all
I have had PCS for just over 3 months. This past week the symptoms have suddenly got worse again (things had been slowly improving). The worse symptom, apart from headaches, is nausea. It comes with a general feeling of being unwell. Anyone have any tips on how to reduce nausea? Somehow thought that by 3 months I might be shot of this but oh no, the fun carries on.

Jane

Koala77 04-18-2011 05:30 AM

Ginger is a really good remedy for nausea Jane. Ginger aids digestion, soothes an irritated gut and tones muscles in the digestive tract. Ginger also stimulates the liver to produce bile which helps in fat digestion. Try sucking dried ginger or sip ginger tea. Ginger ale is another tried and true standby.

Peppermint tea or peppermint oil helps ease spasms and bloating, and can be useful in easing nausea caused by cramps.

Golden seal is another remedy for nausea. It can be taken in the form of tea or pill, and the herb soothes liver and stomach, and enhances digestion.

If you would like more suggestions, try posting in the medication forum or type "nausea and herbal remedies" into your browser, and see what other options you can find.

I hope you feel better soon.

SkiConcussion 04-18-2011 06:37 AM

To Jane

I have found that drinking ginger with carbonated mineral water helps. Equal parts ginger and water - boil the ginger for 5-10 minutes and then refridgerate until you're ready to drink it. Then mix a little with the carbonated water (or club soda). I add a lemon for taste and you can also add honey or some other natural sweetener.

Hope that helps!

SkiConcussion

Quote:

Originally Posted by JaneLdn (Post 763195)
Hi all
I have had PCS for just over 3 months. This past week the symptoms have suddenly got worse again (things had been slowly improving). The worse symptom, apart from headaches, is nausea. It comes with a general feeling of being unwell. Anyone have any tips on how to reduce nausea? Somehow thought that by 3 months I might be shot of this but oh no, the fun carries on.

Jane

mrsD 04-18-2011 06:44 AM

I ditto the ginger. It comes in capsules with dry herb inside, and if you use that I'd take with a full glass of water and remain upright for a while. (don't want to reflux it! )

Or the tea form. Ginger has been trialed against RX drugs and found as effective for mild vertigo as well. (which may create feelings of nausea).

I use ginger extract often for my GI congenital defect. It works for me for many hours, and is inexpensive.

JaneLdn 04-18-2011 10:43 AM

Thanks all for the helpful replies! I've tried peppermint tea - it has helped a little but ginger sounds a better bet!

postconcussion 04-18-2011 10:56 AM

zofran

Hello,

Peppermint tea daily ( I love traditional Medicinals), ginger, carbonated drinks

once in a while, but what helped me so much was Zofran.

It was like a miracle pill. They use it a lot for cancer patients receiving chemo.

It is an expensive prescription though:(

postconcussion 04-18-2011 12:43 PM

Zofran

Hello,

I forgot to mention that for Zofran you can get a sublingual form (dissolves in mouth under tounge) or regular pill.

The sublingual tastes horrible- but I recommend it. When I was taking them I was honestly not eating much at all. The pain and nausea was too much.

It helped to have something not go into my empty stomach. And they work so quickly!

Later my doctor subscribed the pill form- which also worked well. But it seemed slower to take effect.

Hope it helps.

Margarite 04-20-2011 04:03 PM

cool, I have been wondering what to do with my daily nausea, someone recommended peppermint, but it made it worse...I'll try the ginger...
Thanks for the question!