NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   New Member Introductions (https://www.neurotalk.org/new-member-introductions/)
-   -   New member with SFN (https://www.neurotalk.org/new-member-introductions/180789-sfn.html)

Peterg 12-08-2012 07:34 PM

New member with SFN

Hi, I'm new here and have Small Fiber Neuropathy. I'm excited to have somewhere to vent, share, and learn. Thank you!

MelodyL 12-08-2012 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peterg (Post 937968)
Hi, I'm new here and have Small Fiber Neuropathy. I'm excited to have somewhere to vent, share, and learn. Thank you!

Well hi there. Welcome to Neurotalk. My name is Melody. I have diabetic neuropathy but it doesn't give me grief thank goodness because I keep my blood sugar as controlled as I can possibly get and I take my B-12 supplements.

If you would care to share, do you know why you have this condition? Any diagnosis from the doctor?

Take care

Melody

Darlene 12-09-2012 01:11 AM

Happy Holidays!!

Peterg,

:Wave-Hello: It is great to have you come and be with us. You will fine a great number of dear friends to listen when you are in need of ears. Please, just let us know how we can help you out. You will find out we are supportive and relaxing place.

Click on the following link and it will take you to forum where members will assist you.

Peripheral Neuropathy:
http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/forum20.html

Please keep us up to date on your condition. Again welcome, looking forward to seeing you around. My thoughts and prayers are with you. :smileypray:

:hug:

Rrae 12-09-2012 04:00 PM

Hello Peter!

Welcome to NT! :hug:

You've come to a wonderful place of support and understanding! Make yourself right at home here in this friendly, down-to-earth atmosphere

Look thru all the different forums and post anywhere you'd like. Pay special attention to the top section of most of the forums, called the 'Stickies'. Lots of good info there!

You'll be amazed to see how much info there is on peripheral neuropathy and how many people battle this frustrating condition!

Just holler if you have any questions or need help finding your way around!

Caring,
Rae
:grouphug:

Peterg 12-10-2012 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MelodyL (Post 938005)
Well hi there. Welcome to Neurotalk. My name is Melody. I have diabetic neuropathy but it doesn't give me grief thank goodness because I keep my blood sugar as controlled as I can possibly get and I take my B-12 supplements.

If you would care to share, do you know why you have this condition? Any diagnosis from the doctor?

Take care

Melody

Hi Melody, I caught a virus about 6 years ago that put me in the hospital. It seemed to have started all my neurological problems. The virus was not like anything I ever had. I had such bad joint pain I couldn't walk for a couple days. I had chest pains. And fatigue that was beyond compare.
I recently had a skin biopsy that showed Small FIber neuropathy. I'm managing to work and live fairly well considering. I get down often not knowing how much worse it may get though.
How about yourself? We're you born with Diabetes? Has the neuropathy changed or worsened? Thanks for replying. Take care

MelodyL 12-11-2012 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peterg (Post 938499)
Hi Melody, I caught a virus about 6 years ago that put me in the hospital. It seemed to have started all my neurological problems. The virus was not like anything I ever had. I had such bad joint pain I couldn't walk for a couple days. I had chest pains. And fatigue that was beyond compare.
I recently had a skin biopsy that showed Small FIber neuropathy. I'm managing to work and live fairly well considering. I get down often not knowing how much worse it may get though.
How about yourself? We're you born with Diabetes? Has the neuropathy changed or worsened? Thanks for replying. Take care

I have type 2, diagnosed at age 40 or so. I'm now 65. I grow my own food in my kitchen. I know what goes into my body at all times. So doing that and taking 18 units of Levimir at bedtime, well, it has been working for 7 years. I was extremely obese but now I have shed all that extra poundage. I think I re-wired my brain to look at food completely differently than when I was younger. In my case, it's worked (so far). My neuropathy does not give me grief and I think it's largely due to the fact that I take Methyl B-12 each morning on an empty stomach. I started taking 5000 mcgs but now take 1000 in the a.m. Do a search on these forums and read up on Methyl B-12 and how it helps with neuropathy.

This is probably saved my sanity and my life. Doesn't work for everyone but thankfully it worked for me.

My husband has had idiopathic PN for over 20 years., And funny that you mentioned a virus 6 years ago.

30 years ago, my husband was stricked with a FEVER OF UNKNOWN ORIGIN. Some kind of virus. Knocked him cold.They never gave it a name. He was put in isolation at the hospital and it ran it's course. He was home for one month after an 8 day hospital stay in isolation where everyone wore white coats and masks. I was not allowed to visit him.

We'll never know why he has neuropathy in his toes. Might be from that experience. He burns constantly. Might be from spinal stenosis but this back thing is only the last 3 years or so. His neuropathy started 20 years ago. Might be lots of stuff going on...dual diagnosis, etc.

Be well my friend.

Melody