NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Depression (https://www.neurotalk.org/depression/)
-   -   Dealing with the Blues (https://www.neurotalk.org/depression/59039-dealing-blues.html)

NewsBot 11-06-2008 10:50 AM

Dealing with the Blues

(Psych Central News) The events that have occurred over the past few weeks have been emotionally charged. Now the election is over and reality sets in. Days are shorter and seasonal affective disorder (SAD) is already here for many. “This is the time of the year when people are vulnerable to depression anyway,” said Dr. Thomas Nutter, [...]

Read the full article...

From Psych Central News.

AZjanie 11-07-2008 09:21 PM

I used to really have a terrible time with S.A.D. and kept getting sick and treated for depression back in the Midwest but since we retired and moved to Arizona I am doing better.

I am wondering if those lights which are advertised for S.A.D. would help?

I know I like lots of light and dread getting out of bed before the sun rises. First thing I do is open every curtain and blind in the house and let the sunshine in!

Abbie 11-07-2008 09:51 PM

I have a SAD light... it works pretty good if I remember to put it in my lamp... :rolleyes: Then I have to remember to use that lamp...:rolleyes:

Also... I can't use it all the time as it is bright and tends to give me a headache... i'm migraine sensitive to bright lights.

I take it out in the summer... no need to burn it year round.

:o
Abbie

AZjanie 11-07-2008 10:56 PM

I must be solar powered because if it is a bright sunny day I do so well but if the clouds come out or it rains (which is rare here) I just get really down.

Alffe 11-08-2008 07:53 AM

Abbie let's you and I move out of the midwest to Arizona. :D

AZjanie 11-08-2008 11:39 AM

Even a pretty day can't lift me out of the dumps....I got my feelings hurt a while back and have been hurting ever since. I just can't seem to shake this yet. I am way too sensitive and wish I weren't because it would make my life a lot easier!

Seems anytime someone says something to me that isn't nice I just keep replaying it over and over. I should have said something because maybe they didn't mean to be so harsh...yeah right.

The good news is since I have had so much trouble sleeping I finished all the magazines I'd put off reading so I am taking them to the Nursing Home today!

Alffe 11-08-2008 02:49 PM

I'm guilty of the same thing...replaying things over and over. Why do we do this to ourselves?!! :confused: It really gives things an importance they don't deserve...life is short.....but how to stop??? :o

Do you get O magazine...they take forever to read. *grin

Abbie 11-08-2008 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alffe (Post 404234)
Abbie let's you and I move out of the midwest to Arizona. :D

I can have the car packed and ready soon....:D

Sure is cold and gray here today.... brrrr...

Nik-key 11-09-2008 12:48 AM

My husband Lynn and Dad always suffered with what we in the hicks called cabin fever. Now, I find out it could have been SAD. Lynn also has Alzheimer's, daylight savings time is brutal on him! I did buy those special lights awhile back. They are truly helping him with both his sundowning and the time change.

Az, I too have a constant rewind in my brain. I need to learn how to hit pause, or better yet erase! ;)

And hey, you got room for one more in that car ? :D

Alffe 11-09-2008 06:34 AM

There's always room for one more Nik....:D Second grey day in a row here...and rain mixed w/snow....so it begins. ~sigh