NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/)
-   -   Change in symptoms after grieving someone's death (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/89834-change-symptoms-grieving-someones-death.html)

Zane5100 06-15-2009 05:50 PM

Change in symptoms after grieving someone's death

Hi all,

I'm a survivor of 6 concussions that have occurred over the past 30 years. After my last concussion 2 years ago, a number of symptoms have stayed with me (memory, cognition, focusing problems, etc.), however something new happened a couple of months ago.

Back in April, I was one of the caretakers for a good friend in hospice. After she died, I have begun to suffer from debilitating fatigue and somnolence that have made driving and working extremely difficult—not to mention dangerous.

Has anyone experienced a similar change in their PCS symptoms after experiencing a strong/powerful emotional event?

Thanks!

P.S. Yes, I am seeing my doctor and a neurologist plus my CTs and MRI have come up clear for anything obvious. So far, they haven't been much help.

Mark in Idaho 06-15-2009 11:10 PM

Zane,

Sorry for your loss. Your dedication to your friend is admirable.

Yes,
Symptoms like you are experiencing are not uncommon. Your brain endured quite a load of stress while you cared for your friend. This stress, coupled with minor depression from the grieving process, creates a toxic effect on the brain. The cognitive deficits are a result of this overload.

I would suggest finding a neuro-psychiatrist for an evaluation. I would also get onto a high nutrition diet with supplements, especially those formulated for stress.

The PCS/Multiple Impact Syndrome brain is already in a state of compromise and this extra stress just pushes it past its ability to cope.

I experienced a similar situation back in 1982 after being ripped off for more than half a million dollars. My PCS/Multiple Impact Syndrome (13 concussions) combined with the stress to leave me like a zombie. I could not function. I have old photos that show me looking gaunt and pale. A ortho-molecular psychiatrist helped me recover in just eight weeks. He gave me B-12 shots and got me on a good diet with nutrition supplements.

btw, Our wonderful courts helped me eventually recover about $60,000. Never trust judges, attorneys, loan officers or real estate agents.

But I digress.

Seek out every opportunity to reduce stress in your life. I wish I could help you find a good physician. They are like hens teeth to find. Be persistent. Ask questions. Maybe a grief counselor could give you a referral to someone who can help.

AintSoBad 06-19-2009 04:07 PM

Zane, I too feel your courage and strength, and, the anguish that such a thing can bring.
Kind of like Post traumatic stress...

Mark,
Is giving you incredible advice.
I'd like to pick his brain a little more about this "diet and supplements" or where to find that info, (I'm the king of take out right now, pizza's and cheeseburgers). Ugh.

Mark, you know loss, (as most of us do) and I'm going through an entirely new set right now.
Your advice is most welcome!

I wish both Zane and You, the best!

Pete
Asb

Dmom3005 06-26-2009 06:09 PM

Sounds like you need to restore the strength you had before taking
care of the good friend. Its something that I too have to stop and
do at times when I've been overdoing things.

I spend times going lots of places, and when this happens my energy
and things take a fall. I know that I have to stop driving as much
and spend more time in my home.

So please take care of yourself.

Donna

Lucy 07-07-2009 12:48 AM

Just don't know what to say

Groan, I had typed alot and some how managed to delete it all,

My brother in law died suddenly in April and my mother in law died on the 5th June - which happened to have been my mother's birthday who died 2 years ago. It was also 8 years since I hit my head on the 2nd July.

I just don't know what to say about anything anymore - we sat with mum in law for a week before she died (and she was 95) and it feels like my remaining energy went with her. Like I have about 1/10 instead of my 3-4/10 energy levels. I don't even know what I think anymore.

I am trying to convince myself that my poor tired brain simply doesnot have any reserves left at present and it will come back to me shortly!

I do have something positive to offer though, some study in Florida has shown that caffeine has help mice with induced alzheimers by reducing the stickiness of plaque in the brain -

So I am not ignoring people I am just not at home in my brain at the moment!!

Ohhhhh and I might be a grandmother tomorrow!!!!!!!!! - my first genetic one!!!

Lynlee

mhr4 07-08-2009 10:17 PM

Pete,

Check out "The Better Brain Book" by David Perlmutter, MD., and Dr. Daniel's, "Change Your Brain, Change Your Life." They are both excellent resources on brain nutrition and supplementation.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AintSoBad (Post 525588)
Zane, I too feel your courage and strength, and, the anguish that such a thing can bring.
Kind of like Post traumatic stress...

Mark,
Is giving you incredible advice.
I'd like to pick his brain a little more about this "diet and supplements" or where to find that info, (I'm the king of take out right now, pizza's and cheeseburgers). Ugh.

Mark, you know loss, (as most of us do) and I'm going through an entirely new set right now.
Your advice is most welcome!

I wish both Zane and You, the best!

Pete
Asb

Mark in Idaho 07-09-2009 04:53 PM

It is actual Dr Daniel Amen's book,"Change Your Brain, Change Your Life."

Both Dr Perlmutter and Dr Amen are focused on human potential rather than recover form injury. Their information is helpful since good nutrition helps the brain handle stress and injury.

I am annoyed when people like Dr Amen and Dr Perlmutter make you buy their books and products to find out what their philosophy about the brain is. Too commercial, too much profit motive.

Other physicians are willing to post the basics of their system so the customer can decide if it is for them before spending money.

I already have plenty of books that cost good money yet only have a few worthwhile pages that pertain to brain injuries.

mhr4 07-09-2009 10:06 PM

Mark,

You could always get them from the library if you don't want to pay for them. Sorry that you feel that way, I was just trying to help Pete out, that is all. I have found both of these books to be very informative and worth the cost of buying them, but that is just my opinion.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark in Idaho (Post 535092)
It is actual Dr Daniel Amen's book,"Change Your Brain, Change Your Life."

Both Dr Perlmutter and Dr Amen are focused on human potential rather than recover form injury. Their information is helpful since good nutrition helps the brain handle stress and injury.

I am annoyed when people like Dr Amen and Dr Perlmutter make you buy their books and products to find out what their philosophy about the brain is. Too commercial, too much profit motive.

Other physicians are willing to post the basics of their system so the customer can decide if it is for them before spending money.

I already have plenty of books that cost good money yet only have a few worthwhile pages that pertain to brain injuries.