NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Parkinson's Disease (https://www.neurotalk.org/parkinson-s-disease/)
-   -   Pretty darned convincing (https://www.neurotalk.org/parkinson-s-disease/58705-pretty-darned-convincing.html)

reverett123 11-03-2008 03:48 PM

Pretty darned convincing

In the Tampa paper last week-
http://tampabay.com/news/aging/article879333.ece

A story about an MDs effort to save her husband from early onset Alzheimer's Disease. At the point of desperation, she tried coconut oil. Look at the picture. Part of the testing required the patient to draw a clockface. The one on the left is baseline and totally unrecognizeable. The one on the right is 37 days later taking two tablespoons of the stuff daily. Not only is it recognizeable, it is numbered and correctly at that.

KC Tower 11-03-2008 05:06 PM

Big grain of salt

I don't know --- I find that I always take these magical cure reports with a big grain of salt and a huge dose of skepticism

Anyway its too late for us -- :) Rick has cornered the market in coconut oil futures :)

take care ,,, ken

Ronhutton 11-04-2008 02:18 AM

Constituents

In defence of Rick, leave no stone unturned, but carefully.
i thought i would see if there was any constituent in coconut oil that could benefit us, ie an antiinflammatory, antioxidant etc.
Unfortunately I could only find saturated fats mainly, with no trace of anything I could imagine was beneficial.
Typical was
Coconut oil is a triglyceride containing 86.5% saturated fatty acids, 5.8% monounsaturated fatty acids, and 1.8% polyunsaturated fatty acids. Of its saturated fatty acids, coconut oil is primarily 44.6% lauric acid, 16.8% myristic acid and 8.2% palmitic acid, though it contains seven different saturated fatty acids in total. Its only monounsaturated fatty acid is oleic acid while its only polyunsaturated fatty acid is linoleic acid.[1] Among the most stable of all vegetable oils, coconut oil is slow to oxidize and thus resistant to rancidity. Unrefined coconut oil melts at 20-25°C and smokes at 170°C (350°F).[2], while refined coconut oil has a higher smoke point of 232°C (450°F).
However, keep up the good work Rick
Ron

lindylanka 11-04-2008 08:19 AM

Rick,
I speak with an intimate knowledge of coconut oil it having been part of my diet for 14 years when younger - but there is still PD, AD etc in the part of the world where I grew up, and despite eating like a horse when I lived there I managed to balance weight and be healthy in a way I have not been since. On the other hand I know that there is a gut and diet handbook that is used with fantastic results in autiism and organic coconut oil plays a big role, will post title when I get it. There is certainly something about it that is more than the chemistry, it seems to have beneficial qualities, perhaps it is not so refined, and there are oher constituents that help. Interestingly the gut/diet thing is also used to good effect with MS too - all neurological.............

Lindy

Margarita 11-06-2008 06:35 PM

Lindy,
Where did you grow up?
Margarita

Margarita 11-06-2008 06:39 PM

Coconut oil

I am going to try it.

Thank you for positing it. It would be interesting to find out what is the incidence of Alzheimers in Fiji where people eat coconut all the time.
Margarita

lindylanka 11-06-2008 09:46 PM

I lived in Sri Lanka for 14 years, it is my mothers home country. While there I lived on local food which included turmeric and coconut oil, as well as a lot of dishes made from grated coconut and coconut milk, which is different from the water contained within the nut. I believe that the oil that is beneficial is unrefined organic coconut oil.

(I recently learned that there are fruits from the annonaceae family that are linked with parkinsonism; we consumed these seasonally on a daily basis, they are also found in other tropical coastal regions of the world. My grandmother who also had PD was especially fond of these........ There is a variant of PD with no/or little tremor and identifiable axial rigidity that has been identified in people of Afro-Caribbean and South Asian background by researchers in London. The description fits me to a tee.........)

rosebud 11-07-2008 01:59 AM

simplicity.....

at it's finest moment. Think I'll go try some. Good for constipation too I would think :D

olsen 11-08-2008 12:25 PM

lauric acid

http://www.coconut-connections.com/lauric_acid.htm

(Dr. Mary Enig)
"Approximately 50% of the fatty acids in coconut fat are lauric acid. Lauric acid is a medium chain fatty acid, which has the additional beneficial function of being formed into monolaurin in the human or animal body. Monolaurin is the antiviral, antibacterial, and antiprotozoal monoglyceride used by the human or animal to destroy lipid coated viruses such as HIV, herpes, cytomegalovirus, influenza, various pathogenic bacteria including listeria monocytogenes and heliobacter pylori, and protozoa such as giardia lamblia. Some studies have also shown some antimicrobial effects of the free lauric acid."

EnglishCountryDancer 11-08-2008 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by olsen (Post 404353)
http://www.coconut-connections.com/lauric_acid.htm

(Dr. Mary Enig)
"Approximately 50% of the fatty acids in coconut fat are lauric acid. Lauric acid is a medium chain fatty acid, which has the additional beneficial function of being formed into monolaurin in the human or animal body. Monolaurin is the antiviral, antibacterial, and antiprotozoal monoglyceride used by the human or animal to destroy lipid coated viruses such as HIV, herpes, cytomegalovirus, influenza, various pathogenic bacteria including listeria monocytogenes and heliobacter pylori, and protozoa such as giardia lamblia. Some studies have also shown some antimicrobial effects of the free lauric acid."

Also try Weston Price Foundation website where you will find a lot of interesting work on coconut oil as they promote a traditional diet.