NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Parkinson's Disease (https://www.neurotalk.org/parkinson-s-disease/)
-   -   muscle rigidity (https://www.neurotalk.org/parkinson-s-disease/25491-muscle-rigidity.html)

leah52 08-08-2007 01:38 PM

muscle rigidity

My pwp is having terrible spasms/rigidity in his back, especially at night, but at other times of day as well. Sometimes I can massage him into less pain, but other times it is impossible. I know this is a Parkinsons problem for many. Does anyone have any helpful advice for dealing with this, or giving comfort?

chasmo 08-08-2007 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leah52 (Post 133995)
My pwp is having terrible spasms/rigidity in his back, especially at night, but at other times of day as well. Sometimes I can massage him into less pain, but other times it is impossible. I know this is a Parkinsons problem for many. Does anyone have any helpful advice for dealing with this, or giving comfort?

Accupuncture helped me, for 2-3 days. You can learn deep muscle massage. My DBS took care of mine, but I'd better not say that here.........:D :eek:

Charlie

ol'cs 08-08-2007 06:22 PM

Adjuncts..

in the form of antispasmotic and antiseizure drugs, such as Methocarbamol, Neurontin, Klonopin and Flexeril may be of some use. You hav eto try each one out to see if you get any benefits , and try not to use too much, too often, as they can be habituating. But since many of us are "addicted" to dopa, I say if it helps, use it. THe word "addicted" doesn't bear the same derogatory, denigrating meaning for the chronically ill as it does for people who should be sober, useful members of society. I believe that ANY drug shoud be available to the chronically ill, if it helps alleviate suffering. I put quality of life over quantity of life any day.

paula_w 08-08-2007 07:06 PM

At the risk of sounding negative, I'm afraid it eventually, becomes a choice of how many you are addicted to.

Dystonia, though, if that is what you are experiencing, for me, only responds to more sinemet.

paula

harley 08-08-2007 07:10 PM

if you have good insurance, see if your neuro will write a script for weekly massage therapy. mine is covered 100% after my deductable. then find a good therapeutic masseuse. i really notice how it helps.

paula_w 08-08-2007 07:17 PM

Harley,

I have received physical therapy and it included some massage, but it is always temporary. How often does your insurance pay for it?

paula

harley 08-08-2007 07:56 PM

i get a massage once a week all year. i pay 20 bucks per copay until my total medical deductable has been met which is usually sometime in may... the rest of the year is covered.

leah52 08-09-2007 02:12 PM

Thanks. This is all very helpful.