NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Social Chat (https://www.neurotalk.org/social-chat/)
-   -   Rotten egg smell (https://www.neurotalk.org/social-chat/103182-rotten-egg-smell.html)

Snoopy 09-16-2009 09:41 PM

Rotten egg smell

This is driving me crazy.

There is a strong odor, like a rotten egg, in our home. This odor seems to move around and is getting stronger. We started to notice this odor on Sunday.

We have looked under furniture, smelled the heating/cooling registers, fridge, looked in the basement and outside...nothing and no rotten egg ordor coming from those areas.

We are on well water and septic. We had our septic system pumped out a couple of weeks ago.

I am out of ideas as to what is causing this odor.

Anyone have any ideas?

AfterMyNap 09-16-2009 10:13 PM

Dude! It's the pump out! Call them and have them come back to reseal and double check everything.

Either that or you changed your dog/cat's brand of food. :eek:

AZjanie 09-16-2009 11:28 PM

When I saw "rotten egg smell" I just thought my ex-husband was at your house. :p

Jomar 09-16-2009 11:37 PM

Do you have natural gas ? maybe a leak??

If you can narrow it down to a room or area where it is strongest that should give a clue.

Did the septic guys do anything with the clean out pipe? {a spare pipe that usually has a cap and also along length that the sewer gasses can go up and out of the house - usually near a bathroom outer wall or under house.}

kicker 09-17-2009 06:28 AM

When we had septic, being a city girl, I waited with horror for something bad to happen but have a sewer now. My SIL got a terrible smell, called the gas company thinking it a leak, what they found was a mouse crawled (???!!) up in her oven door (How??? Who would thunk it possible???) insulation, couldn't get out, died and stunk up the place, and Gas guys did not appear surprised. Sniff there.

Snoopy 09-17-2009 06:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AfterMyNap (Post 567316)
Dude! It's the pump out! Call them and have them come back to reseal and double check everything.

Either that or you changed your dog/cat's brand of food. :eek:

My DH does keep asking if it could be the dog, She does have "issues" since she will eat non-food items :eek:

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZjanie (Post 567330)
When I saw "rotten egg smell" I just thought my ex-husband was at your house. :p

:ROTFLMAO:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jo*mar (Post 567333)
Do you have natural gas ? maybe a leak??

If you can narrow it down to a room or area where it is strongest that should give a clue.

Did the septic guys do anything with the clean out pipe? {a spare pipe that usually has a cap and also along length that the sewer gasses can go up and out of the house - usually near a bathroom outer wall or under house.}

We have talked about it being a natural gas leak but DH doubts it, although I may call the gas company and talk to them. Does natural gas leaks and the smell travel, leaving the original area free of the smell?

As far as the septic: We do not have city sewer. The septic tank is underground in concrete.

To have it pumped: dig up the two tank lids, pump guy vaccums out tanks, puts lids back on and cover up with dirt. He never messes with any pipes or comes in the house, it's really a very simple and quick process. DH was outside talking to him so we know the lids are on correctly.

The smell started at the front of the house (septic is in the back). The smell "travels" from where we first noticed it, that area no longer has the smell. The smell is not throughout the house but again, it travels.

Any thoughts about dead animals that could cause that smell?

We live on two acres. We have quite a bit of wildlife - rabbits, mice, some type of gopher, snakes, deer, skunk (does not smell like a dead skunk) and fox.

It's odd, I can get a faint smell when the central air conditioning is on but notice it more when we shut off the air and open windows, but if we go outside we don't smell anything :confused:

Snoopy 09-17-2009 06:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kicker (Post 567392)
When we had septic, being a city girl, I waited with horror for something bad to happen but have a sewer now. My SIL got a terrible smell, called the gas company thinking it a leak, what they found was a mouse crawled (???!!) up in her oven door (How??? Who would thunk it possible???) insulation, couldn't get out, died and stunk up the place, and Gas guys did not appear surprised. Sniff there.

That's what we keep thinking....some dead animal. We have alot of mice and have found many dead ones but have never noticed they smell :confused:

We are going to do some more searching for dead animals today - oh, what fun...not.

Chemar 09-17-2009 08:03 AM

maybe a dead critter in the attic?

mrsD 09-17-2009 08:11 AM

Check the defrost pan under the refrigerator. When I went to the hospital to have my son, a mouse died in ours. Because it is wet there (I guess it was getting drinks from it) it smells forever.

When I got home I was sniffing everywhere. My husband and MIL could not smell it. And I endured endless grief. They insisted there was nothing, and I insisted there was "something" wrong.

Finally I won, hubby pulled out the frig and there it was.
Mice can get in the smallest crack from outside. We've had them in our garage, which is under the house, forever. Now Oreo takes care of them for us. But we didn't have her back then!

Debbie D 09-17-2009 09:01 AM

Sometimes sewer gas-type things can create that odor...also natural gas. I'd have both checked, then call an exterminator to see if it is indeed a dead animal.
Good luck...I personally think those of us with neuro issues can smell these odd things that others can't...I can "smell" electricity...usually a bad outlet, wire, etc. My DH has learned not to question my nose:rolleyes: