NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD and CRPS) (https://www.neurotalk.org/reflex-sympathetic-dystrophy-rsd-and-crps-/)
-   -   stupid ? (https://www.neurotalk.org/reflex-sympathetic-dystrophy-rsd-and-crps-/115328-stupid.html)

babs74 02-24-2010 01:27 AM

stupid ?

what does causalgia mean?? i see it frequently and i know it is part of what we have but i guess i dont understand it.. i know.. i am new to this and kind of dumb about it.. sorry:confused:

dreambeliever128 02-24-2010 08:29 AM

Hi,

RSDS was called Causalgia up until 1927. It has had several names over the years. Shoulder-hand syndrome was another but there were more.

Not only can the Drs. not treat it, they don't know what to call it.

Ada

mellowguy 02-24-2010 08:43 AM

Don't Be Afraid To Ask

Babs,
Not too many of us were born inside a medical university with parents who have won the Nobel Prize for Medicine. We all have questions that may or may not relate to our condition. There is no wrong question to ask. I for one, wasn't born with a medical processor in my head that's for sure. Or even a spelling one to boot. I was 15 before I could spell my name right in English. And I was born here in the U.S. Point is,,everyone here has questions and this is the place to come in and ask. No matter what information your asking for...Don't Be Afraid To Ask....mellowguy

SandyRI 02-24-2010 08:43 AM

Causalgia is also known as CRPS II
RSD is CRPS I

CRPS I is generally less serious than CRPS II, where there is nerve damage or nerve entrapment. RSD and Causalgia are the old terms, but are still used all the time. If you hunt around the board you'll find that the meanings of the terms discussed often.

Quote:

Originally Posted by babs74 (Post 625315)
what does causalgia mean?? i see it frequently and i know it is part of what we have but i guess i dont understand it.. i know.. i am new to this and kind of dumb about it.. sorry:confused:

keep smilin 02-24-2010 09:16 AM

Hello Babs...

Quote:

Originally Posted by SandyRI (Post 625371)
Causalgia is also known as CRPS II
RSD is CRPS I

CRPS I is generally less serious than CRPS II, where there is nerve damage or nerve entrapment. RSD and Causalgia are the old terms, but are still used all the time. If you hunt around the board you'll find that the meanings of the terms discussed often.

Honey..I learn more everyday here.. This forum is our little heaven right here on earth!! Funny as just when I have questions or am confused about something..someone here asks the question before I get the chance... We are family here and family takes care of family... it is just the way it has to be!!!!

Hugz, Kathy:grouphug:

Abbie 02-24-2010 05:09 PM

According to Webster's Dictionary...
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/causalgia
Main Entry: cau·sal·gia
Pronunciation: \kȯ-ˈzal-j(ē-)ə, -ˈsal-\
Function: noun
Etymology: New Latin, from Greek kausos fever (from kaiein to burn) + New Latin -algia
Date: 1872
: a constant usually burning pain resulting from injury to a peripheral nerve

babs74 02-24-2010 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Abasaki (Post 625597)
According to Webster's Dictionary...

Main Entry: cau·sal·gia
Pronunciation: \kȯ-ˈzal-j(ē-)ə, -ˈsal-\
Function: noun
Etymology: New Latin, from Greek kausos fever (from kaiein to burn) + New Latin -algia
Date: 1872
: a constant usually burning pain resulting from injury to a peripheral nerve

well according to that we all have that. not just type 1.lol.. its just so confusing.. i never knew what really caused my injury to start with, or what it was or still is i guess. they just said crps.. so im a little in the dark. trying to find out as much as i can.. the drs arent much help.. hopefully i can into one soon that can help..lol:)

Abbie 02-25-2010 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by babs74 (Post 625756)
well according to that we all have that. not just type 1.lol.. its just so confusing.. i never knew what really caused my injury to start with, or what it was or still is i guess. they just said crps.. so im a little in the dark. trying to find out as much as i can.. the drs arent much help.. hopefully i can into one soon that can help..lol:)

I agree with you!!! This is ALL confusing... I had a minor injury but that healed nicely... unfortunately my brain forgot to stop receiving and sending pain signals...from the injury area. Now I have pain coming from all parts of my body that have never been injured.

Too me.... it doesn't really matter if I have Type 1 or Type 2.... IT ALL HURTS and PAIN IS PAIN!!!!! All of the doctor's I have been to tell me they treat RSD/CRPS the same no matter....

If I had a known nerve injury... I would at least know why I am having continued pain... but since I don't, what is scary to me....... I have NO IDEA and neither do the doctors why my pain keeps getting worse.

So for the foreseeable future and beyond... I will gather all of the information I can about new and old treatments... take it with me to each doctor I see so that I can remember to discuss all options... I also have long detailed notes about my pain and how I feel to give to the doctor so that I don't forget any details about this either... we all know how fast a doctor's appointment can be... better be safe than sorry.

:hug:
Abbie

babs74 02-25-2010 01:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Abasaki (Post 625769)
I agree with you!!! This is ALL confusing... I had a minor injury but that healed nicely... unfortunately my brain forgot to stop receiving and sending pain signals...from the injury area. Now I have pain coming from all parts of my body that have never been injured.

Too me.... it doesn't really matter if I have Type 1 or Type 2.... IT ALL HURTS and PAIN IS PAIN!!!!! All of the doctor's I have been to tell me they treat RSD/CRPS the same no matter....

If I had a known nerve injury... I would at least know why I am having continued pain... but since I don't, what is scary to me....... I have NO IDEA and neither do the doctors why my pain keeps getting worse.

So for the foreseeable future and beyond... I will gather all of the information I can about new and old treatments... take it with me to each doctor I see so that I can remember to discuss all options... I also have long detailed notes about my pain and how I feel to give to the doctor so that I don't forget any details about this either... we all know how fast a doctor's appointment can be... better be safe than sorry.

:hug:
Abbie

I agree. my injury never healed and thats my problem.. So what was my injury? noone can actually tell me.. So i always will wonder.. Was it actually an injury to the nerve it self or not.. I need to know these things. I am curious by nature and i want to know what the hel* is going on with me.. I dont want the run around. I need to know the truth. It made me mad that the only truth i got about my condition is from my lawyer and not from my doctor.. He answered my questions honestly not my doctor.. I was poed beyond belief.. He said "im not here to lie to ya kiddo." i said i need to know the truth, where i like it or not. so just tell me.. and he did.. so i confronted the doctor and he finally caved and told me.. and i cried.. and he didnt like it.. so now i want a doctor thats actually going to tell me what he thinks the truth is.. and im not going to stop until i find him/her. i have had enough..lmao

corinne89 02-25-2010 05:34 AM

Some info for your doctor and you

I found some websites that have accurate information that I have copied and given to my doctor.
rsdrx.com
intractable pain patient's handbook for survival by Forest Tennant
rsdfoundation clinical practice guidelines 3rd edition

Hope this info helps. :confused:
Corinne