NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/)
-   -   Am I Just Crazy? (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/241837-am-crazy.html)

okrad 11-10-2016 05:17 AM

Am I Just Crazy?

I had the MRI and also the DTI which is so sensitive and everything in OK! I am happy it is ok, but then why do I still not recognize people? Why did I have all the symptoms of a concussion? Why do i still? In a way,
I feel so bad. I don't want a head injury, let me clear about that! But now I feel like I am mentally ill. There is nothing wrong with being mentally ill, of course, but I really did not think I have a mental illness which could make me not recognize people and have headaches and all, even before I knew that there was PCS?
I feel very crazy right now. :(

davOD 11-10-2016 11:13 AM

We get it trust us....

I had my fair share of MRI's PET scans, ect.....

What I remember the most from the Dr.s words.....I have good news and some bad news.....Good news is we dont see any dead brain material, the bad is we cant prove any of your problems with these kind of tests....

So from there it was years of torcher with nero testing...

Mark in Idaho 11-10-2016 11:17 AM

There is a small area of the brain that connects faces to names. You may have injured that area in a way that the DTI does not show. A Neuro Psychological Assessment could help identify your memory and cognitive dysfunctions and would usually be able to tell if they were a physiological injury or psychological struggle.

Mental illness would not be causing these symptoms. Depression can slow some processes. An NPA would look at all of the possible issues.

The question is whether there is a treatment for any of your symptoms.

Bud 11-11-2016 12:29 AM

Okrad,

You aren't nuts!

I thought I was losing my mind too during my worst of PCS. Thankfully my wife kept reminding me I was supposed to have died and had a pretty good blow to the head, I wasn't imagining anything. All that was happening was either poorly explained or not mentioned by my doctors and that led to a great deal of speculation about the state of my metal health by myself.

This site changed my recovery, I wasn't going nuts and others knew what I was experiencing.

Hang in there, it does get better!

Bud

doreoh 11-11-2016 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by okrad (Post 1228447)
I had the MRI and also the DTI which is so sensitive and everything in OK! I am happy it is ok, but then why do I still not recognize people? Why did I have all the symptoms of a concussion? Why do i still? In a way,
I feel so bad. I don't want a head injury, let me clear about that! But now I feel like I am mentally ill. There is nothing wrong with being mentally ill, of course, but I really did not think I have a mental illness which could make me not recognize people and have headaches and all, even before I knew that there was PCS?
I feel very crazy right now. :(

you're not crazy. you are healing from a head injury. it's easy to get in your head and begin to think symptoms are psychosomatic, but they are real. i've started listening to "the ghost in my brain" on audibles, which has helped. it's about a professor who had a head injury and went on to make a full recovery.

wishing you well :hug:

okrad 11-12-2016 09:51 AM

Thank you guys for posting. I am rather glum these days because the MRI seemed to have made things worse. I hate medical testing in general, expecially when you go through it and it shows nothing.

I did neuro cog. Mostly OK but spatial visual.

Living_Dazed 02-07-2017 10:15 PM

I had this too for the first 5-6 months. It terrified me. I hid it from my family. Of course they knew. It's not just you.