NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Thoracic Outlet Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/thoracic-outlet-syndrome/)
-   -   Why Are Symptoms Delayed? (https://www.neurotalk.org/thoracic-outlet-syndrome/189129-symptoms-delayed.html)

heybro 05-27-2013 11:41 PM

Why Are Symptoms Delayed?

How come with TOS, symptoms are always delayed?

For instance, I'll do something on monday that I know I should not be doing and my pinkies will be numb on tuesday and wednesday.

Do that same thing again on Thursday and my pinkies will be numb on Friday and Saturday.

WHY the delay?

I have often thought of it as a bank account. You can do whatever you want (sometimes) but once you overdraft, then all the little things that you used to be able to afford, are now costing you.

heybro 05-29-2013 08:55 AM

hey brah,
not sure, maybe some one else has an idea though?

be a good bro!
markie

Jomar 05-29-2013 09:20 AM

I've never explored the "why" of delayed pain, just know that it happens..
the bank account thing fits for many of us.

irisheyesmilin 05-29-2013 11:52 AM

heybro

Quote:

Originally Posted by heybro (Post 987296)

For instance, I'll do something on monday that I know I should not be doing and my pinkies will be numb on tuesday and wednesday.

Do that same thing again on Thursday and my pinkies will be numb on Friday and Saturday.

WHY the delay?

I have often thought of it as a bank account. You can do whatever you want (sometimes) but once you overdraft, then all the little things that you used to be able to afford, are now costing you.

I don't know the why's I only know that even growing up if someone got hurt etc. I always heard from my mother. It won't be bad tomorrow, it's always the second day that you will really feel the pain and funny how it all rang true. I do things will bother me and kind of time them if they are worth it in the long run.

Haute Mess 05-29-2013 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irisheyesmilin (Post 987643)
I don't know the why's I only know that even growing up if someone got hurt etc. I always heard from my mother. It won't be bad tomorrow, it's always the second day that you will really feel the pain and funny how it all rang true. I do things will bother me and kind of time them if they are worth it in the long run.

I get delayed soreness when exercising partly due to inflammation of the muscles that get microscopic tears. Perhaps the same is true of nerves in that its the waiting for the inflammation from use that causes delayed pain.

mspennyloafer 05-29-2013 02:34 PM

Neuropathy is majorly delayed with me

chroma 05-30-2013 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Haute Mess (Post 987659)
I get delayed soreness when exercising partly due to inflammation of the muscles that get microscopic tears. Perhaps the same is true of nerves in that its the waiting for the inflammation from use that causes delayed pain.

I was going to say something similar. The activity causes inflammation which then causes pain after it builds up.

That's my (our) theory.

twelveleaves 05-30-2013 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by heybro (Post 987296)

WHY the delay?

I've noticed this myself. Sometimes it takes 2 days for the "flare" to hit after doing something I shouldn't have done.

heybro 05-31-2013 01:03 AM

it is very funny because often times i will think "what did I do????"

and then I'll be like, "OH YEAH - I HELD THE PHONE AT WORK FOR LIKE 5 MINUTES INSTEAD OF GETTING THE BEEP OFF OF IT!" HAHA

Sheri_TOS 05-31-2013 11:41 AM

I acquired vascular TOS on my left side from a shoulder injury where I took a direct blow to the axilla tearing muscles, labrum, etc. The nerves were "asleep" for the first 36 hours after the injury, then the nerves "woke up" and let me know. The next couple of days were hell.

I wonder if the delayed reaction to every day activities is similar. You're stressing the nerve(s) in some way, and it later "wakes up". There's probably a more appropriate medical term than "wake up" and "asleep" but that's how I look at it.