NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Multiple Sclerosis (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/)
-   -   Does anyone have an adjustable bed and/or memory foam mattress? (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/49339-adjustable-bed-memory-foam-mattress.html)

Shashi 07-05-2008 02:32 PM

Does anyone have an adjustable bed and/or memory foam mattress?

I have really bad GERD, severe sleep apnea when I sleep on my back (I can't tolerate CPAP), my arms and hands go numb while I'm sleeping if I sleep on my sides (which I have to because of the apnea), and I usually wake up in the mornings with moderate to severe muscle pain and stiffness. My husband also has severe sleep apnea and also degenerative disk disease. My GI doctor recommends raising the head of the bed 6", but there would be problems with that, so we need to find another alternative.

We've been thinking about getting an adjustable bed and perhaps a memory foam mattress with it, but I'd like to get opinions from anyone who might have either of those or both as to sleep quality on them.

Can anyone share their experiences with me?

Thanks!

Erin524 07-05-2008 02:45 PM

I used to have a memory foam mattress pad. It was about 2 inches thick.

I only used it for probably about 5 months.

When I first got it, I really liked it. I'd gotten it for Christmas in 2005. A few months later tho, in April of 2006, I had my first MS exacerbation. My right hip went numb. Then my left hip went numb, not as bad as the right one tho.

The memory foam felt so weird against numb skin. Seemed like it made things feel even more numb. I ended up giving it to one of my boyfriend's room mates in May or June of 2006. The room mate loves it I guess.

My parents gave their old bed to my boyfriend, and then they went and bought an adjustable bed. They love it. It's got what I call "magic fingers", like they used to have in motels. It's got an adjustable vibrating mechanism in it. It's kind of nice when you have a sore back.

The adjustable part of the bed is really nice. I've sat and watched tv on their bed, and you can adjust either side of the bed however you want. It's pretty cool. I might get one of those beds next time I'm bed shopping.

My own bed now, is just a basic mattress, in a wood bedframe with drawers underneath. I do have a foam (not memory foam) wedge pillow that I use when my allergies are bad, or when I have a bad cold with a cough. The height of the wedge pillow changes depending on which side of the pillow is supporting me. I really like it.

NurseNancy 07-05-2008 04:00 PM

you can use bricks or wood blocks to raise a bed off the floor.
it should be helpful.
i take prevacid in the am and ranitidrine in the pm for reflux and i'm doing well.

i also have a lot of pain issues and finally got a tempurpedic after several friends rave about theirs. i do like it very much and i'm glad i went to the expense. i didn't get the hardest one. it really makes a difference.

i used to sleep on an eggcrate with a featherbed over that. it just wasn't doing the trick and i was in too much pain and sleeping poorly. i still don't sleep thru the nite but i sleep much better.

SandyC 07-05-2008 04:17 PM

I have an adjustable bed. It's really just a hospital bed I picked up cheap through a local medical store. I buy adjustable mattresses for it. I have severe GERD and it helps greatly. Jim also has an adjustable bed and an air mattress to prevent bed sores. We are thinking of splurging on an adjustable Sleep Number bed in the future. They are very expensive but I've heard really great things about them.

barb02 07-05-2008 04:40 PM

I had a fake tempurpedic bed with a pillow top. It was not as expensive as the real thing, but still rather costly (1200.00). I hated it! I found it difficult to turn from side to side. But the even bigger problem is that it was hot. for some reason, foam seems to hold your body heat more so than traditional box springs mattresses. I used mine for one year before I gave up.

MSacorn 07-05-2008 04:53 PM

I have/use a memory foam pad I got for xmas 2007. I love mine. It has reduced the hip pain I get from staying in one position too long.

The downside is that it does retain your body heat. It's better for colder months. For me I wake up very shaky from being over heated while asleep. It lasts a few minutes and I'm fine.

I wouldn't trade it except for a sleep number bed. I hear those are awesome.

Good luck with your search for relief.

:hug:'s

Jomar 07-05-2008 05:01 PM

what about trying something like these?
"wedges for bed comfort"
http://images.google.com/images?hl=e...-8&sa=N&tab=wi

We have an 80% waveless waterbed mattress with built in lumbar support -
and we did add a tempurpedic type topper when hubby pulled a back muscle and we both liked it so kept it on.

The tempurpedic stuff does hold in body heat so depending on location and health situation it could be good or not so good.

Georgia girl 07-05-2008 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shashi (Post 316350)
I have really bad GERD, severe sleep apnea when I sleep on my back (I can't tolerate CPAP), my arms and hands go numb while I'm sleeping if I sleep on my sides (which I have to because of the apnea), and I usually wake up in the mornings with moderate to severe muscle pain and stiffness. My husband also has severe sleep apnea and also degenerative disk disease. My GI doctor recommends raising the head of the bed 6", but there would be problems with that, so we need to find another alternative.

We've been thinking about getting an adjustable bed and perhaps a memory foam mattress with it, but I'd like to get opinions from anyone who might have either of those or both as to sleep quality on them.

Can anyone share their experiences with me?

Thanks!

You should research the Comforpedic and then go try one out and your local mattress store........everyone is differnet but I think you might just LOVE IT ALSO.

I don't recommend the sleep number beds....it seems like a lot of money for an air mattress and I've had friends that say things go wrong with it all the time and believe it or not.....their was mold growing in their bed when they opened it up to take it apart to move it when they got their new home. Thats another thing it basically comes apart and you have to put it together and for that much money........it just does not set right with me. But like I said everyone is differnet.

I love the adjustable option.............why not.

Hope this helps,

Georgia Girl

Jules A 07-06-2008 10:52 AM

I bought the Temperpedic pillows and am not really thrilled with them. Because I'm too cheap to throw anything away I do use one to elevate my ankles in bed but have to say that after several years it is getting flattened out (now I'm not a big girl so its not my huge ham hocks smushing it out, lol) so I would worry about spending all that money on one of their mattresses and have it lose its shape.

I would also imagine they weigh a ton if you are going to move the bed etc. A pillow top for on your existing mattress might be a good thing to try though. Good luck.

sugarboo 07-06-2008 11:35 AM

My DD has the memory foam bed. She loved it at first, but now she hates it. She can't get comfortable and now complains of back pain. She's only 19.

For what its worth....