NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Multiple Sclerosis (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/)
-   -   Foot problems (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/68865-foot.html)

Jalee 01-08-2009 06:56 PM

Foot problems

First, hello to everyone who knows me from other places.:)

Just thought I would ask here if anyone else is having problems with dystonia in their feet. I've recently received this diagnosis from my neuro and have started Mirapex.

My right foot which is usually numb and tingly feeling is starting to twist and it is beginning to get more difficult to walk.

NurseNancy 01-08-2009 10:54 PM

sorry, i don't know.
is there any physical therapy that could help?

welcome to NT btw.

Jalee 01-09-2009 06:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NurseNancy (Post 441501)
sorry, i don't know.
is there any physical therapy that could help?

welcome to NT btw.

The doc didn't recommend any physical therapy, so I'm not sure it would help. He did say it was probably caused by a lower brainstem/upper cervical lesion.

I'm hoping that it goes away, but in the meantime I'm taking Mirapex which hasn't started working, yet.

Thanks for the welcome.

tovaxin_lab_rat 01-11-2009 02:07 AM

Hi Jalee! Nice to have you back! Have missed you! :hug:

I suffer from much the same thing as you but haven't been dx'd with dystonia just severe muscle spasms and cramping in my feet and calves. I take Sinemet and it works very well. The other drugs (Requip, etc) didn't work at all. I also get weekly massages and my therapist focuses on my calf muscles. She also taught me a technique for releasing the "charlie horse" type cramping I get in my feet that cause them to twist.

I also take Klonopin/clonazepam which helps as well. The two drugs work together to keep the muscles from twitching all the time.

Sinemet comes in a couple different dose strengths and for me this drug has virtually no side effects! That's a plus!

Good luck finding something that works! I hate the middle of the night spasms that in my feet! Yeow!

Jalee 01-11-2009 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Av8rgirl (Post 442814)
Hi Jalee! Nice to have you back! Have missed you! :hug:

I suffer from much the same thing as you but haven't been dx'd with dystonia just severe muscle spasms and cramping in my feet and calves. I take Sinemet and it works very well. The other drugs (Requip, etc) didn't work at all. I also get weekly massages and my therapist focuses on my calf muscles. She also taught me a technique for releasing the "charlie horse" type cramping I get in my feet that cause them to twist.

I also take Klonopin/clonazepam which helps as well. The two drugs work together to keep the muscles from twitching all the time.

Sinemet comes in a couple different dose strengths and for me this drug has virtually no side effects! That's a plus!

Good luck finding something that works! I hate the middle of the night spasms that in my feet! Yeow!

Sorry you have something similar. It is maddening, isn't it? Did you have problems when you first started Sinemet?

I've been titrating my dose of Mirapex for a month now. I take a single dose in the morning, then a double at night. I've had some nausea off and on, hence the slow escalation.

I can see that if I don't get this under control, it could be quite disabling.

I've missed you too.:hug:

I've been trying to concentrate on RL and staying well. Most of the time I can't stand to talk. It is difficult to find the words I want to say. It is easier not to.:winky:

SallyC 01-11-2009 01:49 PM

So sorry or your pain, Jalee.:(

I hope you find something soon, that helps.

:hug:

Kitty 01-11-2009 04:04 PM

Welcome to NeuroTalk! I'm sorry for the pain you're experiencing. Cramps in the legs, especially at night, are awful. I hate being awakened like that. I hope the meds start working for you. Massage might be helpful although I've never tried it.

Jalee 01-11-2009 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SallyC (Post 443071)
So sorry or your pain, Jalee.:(

I hope you find something soon, that helps.

:hug:

Thanks, Miss Sal.:) How have you been?

Jalee 01-11-2009 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kitty (Post 443121)
Welcome to NeuroTalk! I'm sorry for the pain you're experiencing. Cramps in the legs, especially at night, are awful. I hate being awakened like that. I hope the meds start working for you. Massage might be helpful although I've never tried it.

Thanks for the welcome, Kitty.:) Fortunately, I'm not in pain constantly. It is weird that my foot moves so involuntarily and gets in this weird position.

It gets sore after awhile of constant spasm. It is so strange. I hope the med works.

Desinie 01-11-2009 11:18 PM

I hope the Mirapex works too,Jalee. :hug: