NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Parkinson's Disease (https://www.neurotalk.org/parkinson-s-disease/)
-   -   No more pills!!!!! Always "ON"!!!!!! (https://www.neurotalk.org/parkinson-s-disease/224412-pills.html)

Jim091866 08-11-2015 06:35 AM

No more pills!!!!! Always "ON"!!!!!!

This is possible with a new treatment called Duopa. Am I missing something because I am over the top about this new therapy. Maybe you all know something that I don't...

soccertese 08-11-2015 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim091866 (Post 1161772)
This is possible with a new treatment called Duopa. Am I missing something because I am over the top about this new therapy. Maybe you all know something that I don't...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-D-KPfoCJw

interesting video on duodopa skip ahead to 1hr, 7min.
definately most people gain more on time but you still take pills.

kiwi33 08-11-2015 05:28 PM

I hope that Duopa helps you.

You might find the information about it here helpful; http://www.drugs.com/cons/duopa.html .

Jomar 08-11-2015 05:38 PM

According to the video , a short synopsis... as I understood it .
you are connected to the pump with meds flowing into a specific area of intestine for 16 hrs per day , then will still need some pills while off the pump..

Jim091866 08-12-2015 04:32 PM

Yes but no pills during the day!!! Did I say NO pills during the day, you're ON!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jo*mar (Post 1161916)
According to the video , a short synopsis... as I understood it .
you are connected to the pump with meds flowing into a specific area of intestine for 16 hrs per day , then will still need some pills while off the pump..

Ummm, let me see... No pills during the day. I am ON all the time, if this is properly adjusted not a whole lot of dyskinesia-ARE YOU HEARING ME? Are you interested? You are not taking an agonist with all of it's side effects. This is Carbidopa/levodopa!!!!

Sorry to sound so brassy but I have been following this thing since before it got into trials over here in the U.S.
They have had it in Europe for about 15 yrs.

pegleg 08-12-2015 04:39 PM

But what about the cost??

Have you checked into the cost? It seems we discussed this therapy at length here since it has beeen approved and used in Europe for several years.

In Europe they call it Duodopa; in the U.S. it is called Duopa. Some in Europe swear by it, saying it changed their life. However, they have free healthcare. While our insurance might pay for the peg-tube surgery, the intestinal gel is considered "medicine" and may not be covered by programs like Medicare. I understand one tube of the gel (guessing that it lasts about one month) runs into thousands of dollars.

My problem is that dopamine (after 21 years of it) causes dyskinesia and dystonia, thus I opted to try DBS - I dont know of any other therapy that gets you off carbidopa/levadopa. Does anyone else?

Peggy

Jim091866 08-12-2015 05:22 PM

That is exactly what this is to help with

Quote:

Originally Posted by pegleg (Post 1162177)
Have you checked into the cost? It seems we discussed this therapy at length here since it has beeen approved and used in Europe for several years.

In Europe they call it Duodopa; in the U.S. it is called Duopa. Some in Europe swear by it, saying it changed their life. However, they have free healthcare. While our insurance might pay for the peg-tube surgery, the intestinal gel is considered "medicine" and may not be covered by programs like Medicare. I understand one tube of the gel (guessing that it lasts about one month) runs into thousands of dollars.
My problem is that dopamine (after 21 years of it) causes dyskinesia and dystonia, thus I opted to try DBS - I dont know of any other therapy that gets you off carbidopa/levadopa. Does anyone else?

Peggy

exactly, you would be a good candidate

GerryW 08-12-2015 05:50 PM

Duopa cost

A typical prescription may cost $1,111 or more for 5 cartridges (100ml) of Duopa 4.63mg/20mg/ml.

pegleg 08-12-2015 06:22 PM

Good to know!

Thanks, Gerry

I ha d no way to find this information.

Peggy

pegleg 08-19-2015 11:47 AM

Go Figure!

Jim091866

How do you come up with the answer to my dyskinesia/dystonia to be the Duopa pump? Yes, for those with ups and downs and on/off problems, I do see it really helping there. But the gel is dopamine (carbidopa-levodopa). Ii have met a gentleman who is a doctor and uses the pump and swears by it, but how can it help me? I have to get down to minimal - very minimal or maybe even get off L-dopa entirely. And Duopa is another form of dopamine replacement, only a different method of its delivery. DBS uses the brain's electrical impulse system (similar to how our heart operates). By varying the placement of the probes, they get differing results.

I underwent extensive evaluation, plus the neurosurgeon downloaded and studied about 8-9 MRI's and a myelogram to get a history of my spinal stenosis problems. I trust these professionals and truly appreciate your concern, but Duopa does not appear to be what will work for me. When and if they change their minds, I will let you know. Thanks.

Oh, and I also reviewed the possible use of Apokyn (apopmorphine) - a mega-dose of injected agonist used when off. It caused way more dystonia and dyskinesia. You also must take a strong anti-nausea med with it. Each PWP is very different, and I am no exception.
Thanks.
Peggy