NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/)
-   -   Dr. believes I'll be normal again :) (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/166602-dr-believes-ill-normal.html)

EsthersDoll 03-15-2012 03:22 PM

Dr. believes I'll be normal again :)

I saw my PCP on Tuesday. Originally I was supposed to increase my hours at work from 20 to 30 on April 1. I've been having a lot of difficulty being able to work even twenty hours. Since I started working 20 hours a week on Dec 1, I've had several significant improvements in my overall cognitive functioning. Presumably these increases in my cognitive functioning are taking more energy to maintain and I'm still wiped out all the time. It seems every time I think I'm doing better physically, instead of building more physical stamina I get a recovery leap in my brain functioning!

I'm going to continue to work 20 hours a week through June 1 and hopefully increase my work schedule at that time.

My next appt with her is in May.

My latest improvements have been very exciting for me. I haven't had that "normal" feeling yet that some people here have posted about... and it's been about 19 months since the accident I was in. But I'm doing a LOT better than I was a year ago and I'm so grateful for that!

I have a lot to be grateful for in my life, including this forum. I believe the advice on this board has been instrumental in my continued recovery.

Even though I don't have news of a complete recovery at this time, I wanted to share with you that I'm doing so much better in an effort to brighten your days a little bit and to bring you guys all some hope too. (On Saturday some friends of mine from college agreed that I'm not able to be even 50% of what I was before the accident yet... I'll post in the sticky threadof hope and healing about my recovery once I'm at about 95% or more. ;) )

JulieRN 03-15-2012 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EsthersDoll (Post 861322)
I saw my PCP on Tuesday. Originally I was supposed to increase my hours at work from 20 to 30 on April 1. I've been having a lot of difficulty being able to work even twenty hours. Since I started working 20 hours a week on Dec 1, I've had several significant improvements in my overall cognitive functioning. Presumably these increases in my cognitive functioning are taking more energy to maintain and I'm still wiped out all the time. It seems every time I think I'm doing better physically, instead of building more physical stamina I get a recovery leap in my brain functioning!

I'm going to continue to work 20 hours a week through June 1 and hopefully increase my work schedule at that time.

My latest improvements have been very exciting for me. I haven't had that "normal" feeling yet that some people here have posted about... and it's been about 19 months since the accident I was in. But I'm doing a LOT better than I was a year ago and I'm so grateful for that!

I have a lot to be grateful for in my life, including this forum. I believe the advice on this board has been instrumental in my continued recovery.

Even though I don't have news of a complete recovery at this time, I wanted to share with you that I'm doing so much better in an effort to brighten your days a little bit and to bring you guys all some hope too. (On Saturday some friends of mine from college agreed that I'm not able to be even 50% of what I was before the accident yet... I'll post in the sticky threadof hope and healing about my recovery once I'm at about 95% or more. ;) )

I am SO happy to hear this :)) I wish you all the best as you move forward!! You have given me hope...:)

SI33 03-15-2012 04:22 PM

Best of luck. :)

Soccergal 03-15-2012 11:45 PM

So happy for you!!! I too Am returning to work. Im at 12 hours a week. I think you are wise to stick with the 20 hour for a little longer. Baby steps, right! Better than trying to take big steps and set yourself back.

Congrats and thanks for sharing. Very encouraging! :hug:

Please keep us posted.

Soccergal

Soccergal 03-15-2012 11:47 PM

P.S. How long ago was your injury Esthersdoll?

baultista 03-16-2012 10:52 AM

That's fantastic news! Stay strong, stay positive, and most of all stay patient. You're showing signs of recovery so keep doing whatever it is you're doing right!

EsthersDoll 03-16-2012 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soccergal (Post 861440)
P.S. How long ago was your injury Esthersdoll?

I was injured in an auto accident in July 2010, so about 20 months ago.

My Dr. says she's always been very pleased with the progress of my recovery despite the fact that I've been very frustrated and impatient with it. She was not as sure about my recovery or prognosis during the first ten months after the injury. I remember asking her about it after I had been given a spinal tap, about six to seven months after the injury and she said that we'll just have to see or something along those lines.

I had to be given a spinal tap because I had iicp, increased intracranial pressure, for the first six months or so after the injury. It rarely accompanies concussion, but experts theorize that it might damage the brain further than the initial injury. So I'm not sure if I should be counting my path to wellness from the time of the injury or the time of the spinal tap. (For my own peace of mind, I chose the latter.)

When I returned to work in August, I only worked 12 hours a week too. Then I increased the hours in December to twenty hours a week. (I tried and failed to increase them before then.) I'm just really lucky that I have a job that has been patient with my recovery process. I feel like all victims of head injuries should be given the same opportunity. I believe that being able to work has been some of the best cognitive therapy that I could receive through all of this.

Marina22 03-16-2012 12:45 PM

I'm so glad to hear you're feeling better! I hope that this is something that will stay and improve. Best of luck :)

Johnson 03-16-2012 09:43 PM

I really like this kind of positive news. It gives the hope to everybody who reads it!

Quote:

Originally Posted by EsthersDoll (Post 861322)

HeadStrong 03-18-2012 12:41 PM

Great to hear, keep us posted on your progress :-)

I can't wait to go back to work and see people again. It sucks not feeling well enough to even leave the house.