NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Multiple Sclerosis (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/)
-   -   Swallowing Issues? (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/140590-swallowing-issues.html)

Kitty 12-11-2010 06:42 PM

Swallowing Issues?

Does anyone have difficulty swallowing? I haven't had a bad problem but recently I've noticed that sometimes I get "stuck" when trying to swallow. It can be just normal swallowing that you do when you aren't eating or drinking anything.....or it can be while eating or drinking.

It's like it just stops mid-swallow....and I can't continue. This doesn't happen every time or even everyday. But I have noticed it. And sometimes when I'm eating and it decides to do this it almost chokes me.....or it feels like the food or drink is going down the wrong way.

As a result I've started eating much slower.....and taking much smaller bites. Which, in itself, isn't a bad thing. I have no reason to rush through my food. But I've just started eating very slowly and taking smaller bites so alleviate the possibility of choking.

Just wondering if anyone else has dealt with this. I haven't heard much about this topic.

Erin524 12-11-2010 06:53 PM

I've noticed a few times where food goes out of control on me and I have to quickly stop and try to get it to stop going down my throat before I choke. Choked a couple of times now on my food.

Noticed it got better a little bit this week when I started a prednisone taper. Inside of my mouth was kind of numb in a few places and I never really noticed it before.

I'd looked up swallowing issues and there are ways you can help yourself swallow by turning your head, or leaning your head forwards or back. I've been experimenting with that when I've felt like I'm having problems.

I take smaller bites now, and eat a lot slower than everyone else that I eat with. My dad wolfs his food down, my mom and I both eat slower.

Blessings2You 12-11-2010 07:09 PM

I have that happen randomly. It can happen a few times a week, or not for a few weeks. It can happen with hot food, cold food, or just spit. It's as though my throat or esophagus spasms, and maybe that IS what happens.

Sometimes I can just wait a few seconds, try to relax, and let it dissipate. Other times, if I'm trying to swallow food, it's sort of like GERD on steroids. It won't go down or come up, and it almost feels as though my chest is clenching. Or something.

barb02 12-11-2010 07:25 PM

I occasionally experience this also. Yesterday, at our department luncheon, I had trouble swallowing a bite of Italian beef. I was afraid I was going to start choking in front of everyone. I had to swallow a few times to get the bite down. After that I took realy small bites. I need to remember to do this all the time. I have noticed that I am also eating slower than most of the people around me these days.

SallyC 12-11-2010 08:38 PM

Hi Kelly.:)

I am always aware of when it's time to swallow and get myself in position for it. I've choked to many times, not to be careful.

I've noticed that I have to sit straight and looking forward and maybe lower my had a little. If I turn my head to the left or right and swallow, I'll choke, every time.

It's not something that is a constant problem, but MS has made me constantly aware.

dmplaura 12-11-2010 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blessings2You (Post 724894)
I have that happen randomly. It can happen a few times a week, or not for a few weeks.

Same here. I was diagnosed with 'abnormal swallowing' by my dentist well before seeing any neurologists.

I experience the same as you've described. There's no logic or rhyme/reason to it.

0357 12-12-2010 01:53 AM

I was told to...

One is to take small bites and chew thoroughly.

Tip chin towards chest and swallow.

Follow with a drink of water.

These are tips I was told after I took a swallowing test; sorry but I cannot remember the exact name of the test.

Take care.

Dejibo 12-12-2010 09:04 AM

I randomly cannot coordinate my own swallowing. like I simply cannot get my tongue to get in sync with the rest of the muscles, and then I get a lump in my throat that I cant swallow past. so far mine has only lasted a few minutes each time, but scares me! I have swallowed the wrong way so many times. I scare myself to think I may choke.

NurseNancy 12-12-2010 11:14 AM

0357's tips are valid.
i've had some swallowing issues for some time. my dr had sent me for a swallowing eval and she gave me the same tips.

i don't swallow well at all if my head is back and especially if the food is dry, like chicken.

i've learned to always have a beverage handy when eating.

nemsmom 12-12-2010 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NurseNancy (Post 725049)
0357's tips are valid.
i've had some swallowing issues for some time. my dr had sent me for a swallowing eval and she gave me the same tips.

i don't swallow well at all if my head is back and especially if the food is dry, like chicken.

i've learned to always have a beverage handy when eating.

Yep same here, I had the same test and was given the same advise.

Dry foods are also really difficult for me. Especially breads, I love dinner rolls but can't eat them anymore.

Actually on my test they were able to see when it got stuck and had me try to swallow again, then drink water.

I hope you find something that helps.