NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Pets & Wildlife (https://www.neurotalk.org/pets-and-wildlife/)
-   -   Help...Big colony of Groundhogs.. (https://www.neurotalk.org/pets-and-wildlife/119187-help-colony-groundhogs.html)

tamiloo 04-12-2010 04:18 PM

Help...Big colony of Groundhogs..

I know they are cute just for the day in February however...if you have never been invaded with them...they aren't cute.

Any suggestions short of just shooting them? I know that sounds bad but they are tunneling under the house and just everywhere!

mrsD 04-12-2010 04:59 PM

I guess a live trap? Havahart?

We have them too. So I know how you feel!

Alffe 04-12-2010 05:41 PM

What does Lola think of them? Cassie chases them! :D

mrsD 04-12-2010 05:46 PM

Did you know when they are smaller they can climb trees?

We've seen that! Also they dance and run around. Ours is called Moe, and his mate is Moesha. Moe moves out of his hole under my computer room, each spring. I am so glad he is now in his summer quarters. We now can cover it up! They seem to eat alot of dandilions for us. But he will eat my Mertensia. I chase him off, and eventually he moves on into the neighbors yards.
I have to laugh when I see him run. And the little dance I saw the other day was sort of worth having him here (sometimes I would like to wring his little neck ..if I could find it, that is) ;)

tamiloo 04-12-2010 07:18 PM

Lola wants to chase them. She hears one chirp and it drives her nuts.

We have at least one colony making tunnels on the hillside by the river that runs through our property.

My daughter has a few colonies...a colony can have up to eight females and of course one male.

My sun just got home and shot what he thinks was a male...that is good. We do live in the country so shooting is okay!

mrsD 04-13-2010 07:25 AM

Ours are very solitary. They seem to run off adolescents!

Ours also have the "winter" diggs, and the summer diggs. The summer ones are along the creek in front of our home. There is one summer one out by the back fence. (Moe likes to cruise along the highway... good eats there... and many over the years get killed by cars)

Ours seem to have immigrated from the large acreage about a mile north of us...it is a Convent retreat. Both the deer and groundhogs come from there. We often see the "hogs" grazing outside the gates, along the highway. Then one day, one appeared in OUR yard! :Doh:

Alffe 04-13-2010 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrsD (Post 643562)
Did you know when they are smaller they can climb trees?

We've seen that! Also they dance and run around. Ours is called Moe, and his mate is Moesha. Moe moves out of his hole under my computer room, each spring. I am so glad he is now in his summer quarters. We now can cover it up! They seem to eat alot of dandilions for us. But he will eat my Mertensia. I chase him off, and eventually he moves on into the neighbors yards.
I have to laugh when I see him run. And the little dance I saw the other day was sort of worth having him here (sometimes I would like to wring his little neck ..if I could find it, that is) ;)

Good grief, you've named them! :D

Alffe 04-13-2010 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tamiloo (Post 643593)
Lola wants to chase them. She hears one chirp and it drives her nuts.

We have at least one colony making tunnels on the hillside by the river that runs through our property.

My daughter has a few colonies...a colony can have up to eight females and of course one male.

My sun just got home and shot what he thinks was a male...that is good. We do live in the country so shooting is okay!

Eight females and one male!! He deserved to be shot! ;)

mrsD 04-13-2010 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alffe (Post 643754)
Good grief, you've named them! :D

Yes, we have named them! That is our way. Moe and Moesha I think have changed over the last decade. And our cat keeps them busy. Ours are sort of like the 3 Stooges...very funny.

Maybe our "hogs" are a regional variant? Not so wild as those in the country, etc??

soxmom 04-13-2010 07:45 AM

They are very destructive!!!!

We had them and I was so afraid they were going to ruin our in ground
pool(its sand based). My dh managed to get rid of them(they probably
moved to the neighbors:eek:) with some kind of "green" substance that
you put in the entrances. I will ask for the name and get back to you.

I DO have friends who lie in wait with a shotgun but that is not for us.lol.

I will let you know what he says.:)