NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Peripheral Neuropathy (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/)
-   -   Undiagnosed leg nerve pain?- New here (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/175173-undiagnosed-leg-nerve-pain.html)

biobabe 08-21-2012 08:19 PM

Undiagnosed leg nerve pain?- New here

Hi there,

I was just wondering if anyone would be able to shed some insight on my situation of undiagnosed nerve pain in both legs?

I experience:
-burning in my hamstrings/ glute area which radiates down the back of my thighs
-a buzzing sensation in my feet
-sharp stabbing pains in my hips, hamstrings, and other leg muscles
-muscle spasms throughout the entire legs and feet which feel like elastics snapping
-muscle twitching (fasciculations) especially in my toes and feet
-a sensation extreme leg muscle tightness like saran-wrap around the muscles which is brought on with movement and makes me feel weak
-painfully hot burning feet and hands and alternatively, cold, blue feet and toes
-tingling in my muscles
-muscle cramping in my feet, calves, and thighs
-I also get a strange sensation of cool water trickling down my leg muscles (especially the hamstring) and near my pelvis into my buttock region

My symptoms worsen with activity, and I am hardly able to do any at all, at the moment. In the past, I have had good periods for a while where I very slowly build up my muscles and am able to do yoga and walk around, but then, all of a sudden, I'll do a bit more than usual, and BAM. Back to not being able to walk around again without extreme leg muscle tightness and pain for about four days. Then I have to very slowly add in walking, and often have repeated leg flare ups where I am unable to return to my previous state and can hardly move around. It seems that my situation is worsening, however, and it is harder to stay in a less-pain phase.

I have been experiencing these symptoms for many years. It began with extreme leg antzyness (the burning)-almost to the point of pain- in high school, which, at first could be relieved with exercise, but is now worsened with it.

Currently, I have had a MRI on my spine, nerve conduction testing, vascular testing, an MRI, a lumbar MRI, nerve conduction testing, compartment syndrome testing, all of which have not shown any issues. I am just waiting for the results of an MRI on my pelvis/ hamstrings which I just recently had.

Sound familiar to anyone? Have any ideas? Please feel free to give me a shout!

Thanks!

en bloc 08-21-2012 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biobabe (Post 907758)
Hi there,

I was just wondering if anyone would be able to shed some insight on my situation of undiagnosed nerve pain in both legs?

I experience:
-muscle spasms throughout the entire legs and feet which feel like elastics snapping
-a sensation extreme leg muscle tightness like saran-wrap around the muscles which is brought on with movement and makes me feel weak
-painfully hot burning feet and hands and alternatively, cold, blue feet and toes
-tingling in my muscles
-I also get a strange sensation of cool water trickling down my leg muscles (especially the hamstring) and near my pelvis into my buttock region

My symptoms worsen with activity, and I am hardly able to do any at all, at the moment. In the past, I have had good periods for a while where I very slowly build up my muscles and am able to do yoga and walk around, but then, all of a sudden, I'll do a bit more than usual, and BAM. Back to not being able to walk around again without extreme leg muscle tightness and pain for about four days. Then I have to very slowly add in walking, and often have repeated leg flare ups where I am unable to return to my previous state and can hardly move around. It seems that my situation is worsening, however, and it is harder to stay in a less-pain phase.

I have been experiencing these symptoms for many years. It began with extreme leg antzyness (the burning)-almost to the point of pain- in high school, which, at first could be relieved with exercise, but is now worsened with it.

Currently, I have had a MRI on my spine, nerve conduction testing, vascular testing, an MRI, a lumbar MRI, nerve conduction testing, compartment syndrome testing, all of which have not shown any issues. I am just waiting for the results of an MRI on my pelvis/ hamstrings which I just recently had.

Thanks!

I note that you haven't appeared to have an autoimmune testing. It might be a good idea to inquire about it as many AI disease are accompanied by neuropathy. Do you have any other symptoms like fatigue, dry mouth/eyes, rashes, joint pain, etc?

I would also have glucose checked.

It could also be toxic...like an antibiotic you took years ago.

biobabe 08-21-2012 09:39 PM

Thank you for your reply en bloc!

I haven't had any autoimmune testing, so I will definitely look into that. The only other symptom I can think of that might be related is I get itchy/flaky skin on my torso and my scalp.

I think I've had glucose testing, but it can't hurt to be sure!

And I definitely have had antibiotics in the past, but not since I was a kid, and haven't had a whole lot. Do you have any idea how to determine if antibiotic-exposure may be the cause of nerve pain?

Again, thank-you for your informative response!

en bloc 08-22-2012 04:54 AM

From what I've read (mostly here), antibiotic neuropathy can occur immediately during treatment. Some people who have this reaction start to notice improvement as soon as the drug is stopped while others had problems for years.

As far as I know, there is not a test or something similar to confirm a neuropathy is from antibiotic use...other then noting the onset during or immediately after treatment. MrsD is the expert on this, but she is on vacation without internet access. She'll return in a couple weeks and will hopefully provide some input.

There are so many causes of neuropathy (Over 100), that you must 'investigate' so to speak, the possibilities.

It would also be a good idea to have your B12 level checked. One very common neuropathy is B12 deficiency. BTW, Don't listen to the doctor say "it's normal" as new standards on what's 'normal' have changed. GET copies of your labs so you know your level. It should be above 400 (minimum).

biobabe 08-22-2012 10:29 AM

Thanks again en bloc for your response! I really appreciate it.

I am hoping to work with a neurologist this fall at a pain clinic to investigate the cause, if the most recent pelvic MRI I had doesn't show anything.

My doctors believe the sciatic nerve may be getting pressed on somehow, as most of my pain is in the hamstring/ glute area.

I have had vitamin B12 testing in the past, but, like you said, didn't check the results myself and will have to look into this.

greg867 02-17-2013 03:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biobabe (Post 907758)
Hi there,

I experience:
-tingling in my muscles

Thanks!

Wow I have a lot of the same symptoms! Mine started after what seemed like i pulled my groin a little over a year ago. Its frustrating because I am a runner and I can't do it anymore. I just wonder if what I have is nerve pain. I have a lot of pain when i'm sitting. As much as when I try o run or something its like a crampy achey pain. Then if i move in a certain way i get a sharp like shooting and or stabbing pain...