NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/)
-   -   Strange... (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/156259-strange.html)

lindberg711 08-30-2011 11:36 AM

Strange...

It really seems like I am the only one experiencing some of my symptoms. My memory is **** up in a weird way, and it terrifies me. I can remember events from earlier in the day, but they seem longer ago as if they were yesterday. Nobody understands or can explain it to me. I'm so depressed all the time. What is wrong with me? Such a mild head injury and I am 20 years old and healthy. 2.5 months pcs...

Dr. Smith 08-30-2011 01:22 PM

Just a thought, but have you checked the side effects of any meds you're on? My wife is having some similar memory problems, but no injury to explain them, and we tracked it to one of her meds....

Doc

lindberg711 08-30-2011 02:16 PM

I appreciate the suggestion, but I am currently not taking any meds.

lindberg711 08-30-2011 02:25 PM

I do take a DHA supplement and multivitamin daily, but I doubt that's a factor.

Dr. Smith 08-30-2011 04:14 PM

Well...

I do recall something like that when I was 20ish, but that was the '70s.... :rolleyes: :Grin-Nod:
(Not implying anything on your part, or mine either anymore!)

Doc

lindberg711 08-30-2011 09:19 PM

Very interesting. Did this just happen to you naturally, or due to injury?

ALryan 08-30-2011 09:24 PM

Everyone recovers from concussions differently - the majority of people will spontaneously recover in 7 - 10 days, however, there are a lot of factors that influence recovery. I'm beginning a TBI and concussion research career at a major university, and we're looking at genetic factors of how people recover from concussion because there are quite a few people who don't recover 'normally.'

It sounds like you maybe one of the lucky ones like me (it took me a year and a half to recover from multiple 'mild' concussions and i'm 25). However, the best way to encourage recovery is to take it one day at a time and don't be too freaked out by your symptoms - that's easy for me to say, but I promise it is the only way I made it through.

I can relate to your memory problems, you're not alone.

lindberg711 08-30-2011 11:15 PM

Thank you so much. Your post really gives me hope. I guess it is just a matter of coping, as the symptoms can be so bizarre and troubling. I am just being patient and keeping my nutrition in good shape, as well as minimizing physical activity. There is just so much fear associated with head injury, which is really the worst part about it. Please let me know what else you find out in your research.

lindberg711 08-30-2011 11:24 PM

Also, are you generally a sensitive person? I have always been somewhat sensitive in all facets of life.

Dr. Smith 08-31-2011 01:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lindberg711 (Post 800811)
Very interesting. Did this just happen to you naturally, or due to injury?

Um... neither. It was something inhaled. :rolleyes:

There's an old saying that if you remember the '70s, you weren't really there.... :p

Let's just say it was Long Ago.... In a Galaxy Far Far Away.... ;)